Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
cj250

Are these bikes hard to find?

I am a beginner rider, and I decided I wanted a GZ250. I saw one on craigslist in near me (in central texas) for $1800, but the guy sold it out from under me! It was a 2007, it was so perfect for me and I was so upset when I didn't get it. Now I have been searching the web and all over craigslist for a few weeks and I can't find one! I want a used newer model with just the plain "s" on the tank, and the color black. Why are these so hard to find?!!! I also don't want to pay over $2,000. I am seeing older 2000 models priced at $2500!! Is it just a bad time of year or what?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Skunkhome

Re: Are these bikes hard to find?

A 12 year old gz250 for more than $1500 IMO is just plain nuts regardless of mileage. They are not scarce here but maybe in Texas and apparently in AZ. This is probably not the best time for buyers as it is prime riding season.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Be patient Grasshopper. One will turn up when you least expect it. There will be some one trading up to a larger bike in the near future.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
cj250

Thanks. Skunkhome, I've seen multiple 2002's to 2004's for over $2000! It's crazy. Do yall have any advice on finding a bike, besides searching the web and craigslist? I've also tried local newspaper classified ads, but not finding much of anything there. I really didn't want to pay over $1800 for a bike. I've seen a few good looking ones at dealerships, but they are usually priced around $2500 at the least.

Thanks, I'm trying to be patient, but I want to get one this year! I gotta find one!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Pelagic

cj250

Think about borrowing a trailer and getting one from out of state. The GZ250 members around you can then help you locate and examine a bike.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
cj250

Well how do you go about getting one out of town? It seems like they sell fast and the logistics of obtaining a trailer would take a few days planning ahead for me. Do you ask them to hold the bike for you? How could I get someone to hold a bike for an out of towner?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Skunkhome

Line yourself up a uhaul motorcycle trailer for each weekend and just cancel the reservation if a purchase fails to materialize. You will probably need to plan your arrival so that you and the seller can sign the title in the presence of a notary.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Find a buddy with a small pick up that you can borrow at any given time. Borrow the buddy too, let him drive and help load/unload the bike. Remember to take tie down straps, at least 3.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
mrlmd1

This one's still listed over here in Florida. - 2005 for $1000.
http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/2924389515.html
You could even have it shipped to you for less total cost than what you are looking at.
I bought my TW200 from Arizona like that, sight unseen after talking to the owner on the phone, seeing the ad on the TW forum site. Sent him a check after the bike arrived here, but I doubt you could get that to happen. I just dealt with an honest seller and we both were happy.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
riningr

I found mine on craigslist... I wasn't really looking for a bike but I like to look through bikes / boats / cars and see what kind of prices are out there every now and then... just happened to look on craigslist at the right time and had my tax return money sitting in the bank so I dropped $1400 for mine, 2000 with 9730 miles on it when I bought it and was nearly mint condition (one small barely noticeable spot that the paint was rubbed off when the previous owner first trailered it and didn't know how to strap it down by the handle bars so he X'd straps across the seat and one of the straps rubbed a very small spot of paint off near the edge of the seat/fuel tank.

I've seen a lot of GZ250's on craigslist in michigan since I bought mine... but I think thats just how it works once you buy something you see them everywhere... theres only one listed right now though, $2200 for a 2006 with about 2300 miles on it... I always filter my prices so I don't look at anything less than about $500 and no more than $2000 when I look for stuff like this because if its less than $500 it doesn't run and if its more than $2000 I don't want to spend more than that... just keep looking and you'll find one...