Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
greatmaul

gravel

So I was really happy the other day to see that they graded our (gravel) road, because the potholes had become so numerous and so deep that my trunk actually snapped off the back of the bike when I went through one (it was loaded with groceries.)

Now, though, I'm not as happy. I forgot when they grade the roads, they put on a fresh layer of loose gravel, all 3 or 4 miles of the road. So now when I ride, I feel like I'm on ice. The bike slips when I go around turns. I feel like I'm going down whenever I lean, it's really unpleasant.
O_o
I tried to read up on some gravel tips, and maintain a constant speed, and lay on more gas when I feel slippage (that really works) but I feel unsafe. I hope all this gravel experience will make me a better rider eventually.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: gravel

Sounds like your learning curve is heading higher. Lynda's intro to gravel was the road to her brothers farm. Miles of freshly graded and graveled road with a week of rain prior to us turning off the pavement. It was a real challenge for both of us.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
greatmaul

I try to use the brakes sparingly on gravel and mostly use the engine gearing to keep the speed level. I did start to skid out the back wheel the other day, though, and I immediately let off the back brake. The bike stood up and I was fine, but I realize now that that was not what I was taught and I could have high-sided myself if I was going any faster.

I wish I could take one of those California Superbike School classes, because they have pontoon-ed bikes to let you practice front and rear wheel skids and how to control them.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
gcont

hey there. i have the same problem. it actually makes getting the bike out there a bit of nuisance. unfortunately for me, i bailed a few weeks ago on account of the washboard the tends to happen at certain points on gravel roads. I was lucky in that i cut up my leg a bit and cooked the face of a full helmet. now that ive got the bike running again, a new helmet, and a more cautious approach to riding the gravel roads i find the best way to do it is cruise on slowly, break over long distances, take corners like a granny, and constantly glance up the road, and the what is in front of me. any other suggestions?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
gcont

hey there. i have the same problem. it actually makes getting the bike out there a bit of nuisance. unfortunately for me, i bailed a few weeks ago on account of the washboard the tends to happen at certain points on gravel roads. I was lucky in that i cut up my leg a bit and cooked the face of a full helmet. now that ive got the bike running again, a new helmet, and a more cautious approach to riding the gravel roads i find the best way to do it is cruise on slowly, break over long distances, take corners like a granny, and constantly glance up the road, and the what is in front of me. any other suggestions?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
dentheman

I don't like gravel either. My bike wants to go where she wants to go and I am just along for the ride. Slow and steady in a lower gear works best for me. I take corners at walking speed with my foot out, just in case. I'm sure there is a better technique that someone with off-road experience could put forth.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
alantf

Hi there gcont. If you find you've posted twice (and it happens to the best of us ), you'll find there's a box you can click to delete the second post. Not trying to be obnoxious, just trying to help (we all have to learn )
Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
gcont

i agree with the slow riding but the one foot out scares me. the first time i brought the bike home i went from hardtop to gravel, did a smidge of a slide, dropped a foot and was a mite bit too close to getting pulled off the bike.

to alantf: i do not see the box and refrained from 'reporting' myself, my apologies for the double post, i'm sending these through crumby internet. and the name is Gareth C. (from ontario..no lewd joke there)
Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcont

to alantf: i do not see the box and refrained from 'reporting' myself, my apologies for the double post, i'm sending these through crumby internet. and the name is Gareth C. (from ontario..no lewd joke there)
When you make your post there are two boxes in the lower right hand corner.The one to report "!" & the "x" to delete.
:cool:

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Gravel is not the most fun with a street bike and street tires. I find a good rule of thumb is keep your feet on the pegs. That is the safest place for them so you won't loose a leg when it touches down. Even at slow speeds you can have your leg pulled back with dire results and have a nasty fall because your balance will certainly be upset. Feet on the pegs, knees tight to the tank and keep your arms loose. Do not get all tensed up. The bike will always want to do a dance under you so be prepared for it. Always have just enough speed to keep your balance. Remember the wheels are gyroscopes. They do not want to fall over after approx 8-10 mph. Just the same as steel decked bridges and pavement grooves. Always look ahead for a better path of travel. Use the other side of the road if you need to and there is no oncoming traffic to avoid.
Practice on the road to gain some confidence in your skills and learn how the bike reacts to varying surfaces. I find sand is the worst and mud is a nasty surface too. Gravel can be a bit of fun but always know there will be something lurking and waiting to spoil your day.
On crappy surfaces always try to be in a gear that will provide some instant power to help stabilize the bike when needed.