Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Thorag

So I checked out a used GZ for the first time...

This was the Craigslist ad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist
2005 Suzuki GZ 250 with 4968 miles. Great bike, black metal flake paint, electric start, garage kept and adult riden. 80mpg. $1500.00. obo.
Please email for information.

Apart from the particular bike: I am 6"4 210 lb. I didn't feel cramped. I have short legs though. I was a little disappointed about the acceleration. I rode a friends 200cc Vespa for some time and that seemed to have a little more pep. I even the think the GN125 i rode at the MSF a couple of weeks ago was at least as fast from a standstill to 20mph. Anyhow, I am sure for around town it's OK. Maybe it will improve when it's used more?

I never had a motorbike before, so I didn't really know what to look for. The guy had told me before hand that his son used to ride the bike, before he moved away after school. They supposedly had it checked every spring. I looked up his phone number and found his house and google maped it. Had a Mercedes in the driveway. I figured they would take care of the bike so his son would have a safe ride.

However when I was there, he told me the bike was stored for 1.5 years. I told be he rode it for 10 minutes every month though. However, it didn't look like a really well maintained bike. There was a little rust underneath the back seat (should have unscrewed it. Don't know how it looks underneath it) More rust (again, a little) at the tank. Well not in the tank, but at the circular "seam" around the "tank hole". The inside looked spotless though. Chain was a little rusty. Obviously wasn't lubed in a long time. Couple of bolts were rusty. A little oil/grease on the left side of the motor. Didn't seem to increase after I took it for a 10 minute ride.

Neither the neutral nor the turn indicator worked. Half an inch was broken off the throttle lever, it had been laid down once. I discovered no other signs of the crash though. One of the big chromish looking bolts at the engine was missing though, Im not sure how that would happen.

Original tires which I definitely like to change.

It sounded good, but when I arrived another but just come back from a test drive, so it was warmed up. Shifted through all gears without a problem. Brake squeaked a little but worked good without pulsating.

From my amateurish description, what do you think of the bike? How much should I worry about the rusty spots? Particular around the "tank hole" I dont really care about cosmetics, I just want the bike to last 3 years as my daily driver to school. What about the oil/grease at the left side? A little is normal, right? It did NOT look like he washed the engine to hide a big leak.

I am planning on eventually maintaining it myself. I did quite some home improvement and am kinda handy, never really worked on a car, let alone a bike though. So I guess I'll bring it to a dealer to get it tuned up. How much do you think that would set me back? Would it potentially hurt if I ride it home 70 miles without having it serviced first? I guess I would lube the chain :roll:

What would a fair price be?

Wow, that was a lot of text and a lot of questions. Sorry about that, I am just so excited and disillusioned art the same time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
JWR

Re: So I checked out a used GZ for the first time...

Oil and filter change, new tires @ +/- $200.

The rest sounds like TLC.

Price sounds right.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Skunkhome

Well, it is extremely hard to tell much without photos but rust to me would be red flag however I don't live in the rust belt. It is easy to keep a bike rust free down here if you can keep it shredded. A little rust on the chain side plates is no big deal but if it is stiff I would consider chancing as soon as possible. Riding for ten minutes every month is worst IMO that just putting it on blocks and letting it sit. 10 minutes of riding is not enough time for the engine to heat up enough to drive off the moisture released by the products of combustion. In other words you end up with a wet engine. I think I would discuss the shortcomings you have noted here and see if you can get him to come off the asking price. If you do purchase I would not drive it 70 miles home or much at all until you have had a chance to drop the oil and change the filter. While you are at it make sure your cables are all lubed and free. Also check the chain for frozen links, if they are all loose, clean, lube and adjust before you hit the road.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Rookie Rider

Id buy it. But id tell him i'll give him a thousand bucks. If he says no then bargain to the most $1200 You can do the tune up yourself like i did last year. My first bike too. Change the spark plug, air filter, buy an oil filter and oil, clean and lube the chain and make sure its tensioned correctly. Maybe give a good cleaning, (some of us like it dirty tho). Its really easy. You can find how to do all of this by checking the correct thread here on the forum. Thats how i did it. Most youll spend on all that is about, $ 30.00. But there is more to check, like your cables and all too. Youll see. I say GO FOR IT !!
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like a pretty decent bike overall. You can do all of the above maintenance yourself while you completely go over the bike for loose fittings, nuts and bolts. Lube everything that moves. The bike is probably in need of a valve check too. I would leave that to a shop. It is usually a one hour job so won't break the bank.
The battery will likely need to be replaced at some point if original but that almost goes without saying on any used bike with little use.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
greatmaul

I'm new to bikes and not that great of a mechanic. If it were me, honestly, I'd keep looking unless the price got down to around 1200 as stated before. The bolt off of the engine disturbs me a bit. When you say the turn indicator didn't work, I assume you mean the little light on the dash. That should be an easy plug in fix for both of those bulbs.

As far as oomph, I'm no expert but I'd assume the carb has been sitting with gas in it for 1.5 years, and that might have caused some varnishy buildup. Usually on here, a tank or two of double strength carb cleaner, a la seafoam or chem b12 is recommended. That might pep it up a bit, as would the new plugs as mentioned here also.

The GZ is a very hardy breed, so as long as it is running good, and it sounds like it is, it probably is going to be just fine. 4900 miles is, of course, pretty low, so that's good, too.

If they have a mercedes, they probably aren't backyard mechanics, so they're used to paying shop prices, so if you mention you might need to replace the chain, tires, etc, that might get them down on the price. I don't think you'd actually have to replace the chain, but they don't know that probably.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorag
Half an inch was broken off the throttle lever,
This seems highly improbable. Do you mean the brake lever?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Thorag

Thanks for all your input. I guess I am going for it. Im in the market for some time now, and there arent a lot of reasonable priced gzs out there.

If im willing to pay 1200, should I offer 1000 like rookie rider stated? 1100? (I hate being so cheap, but I am going for a second degree at age 31 without any grants, just savings and eventually loans)

@water warior: I did mean the break lever :blush:
Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Rookie Rider

Id say, "i'll give you a thousand cash right now". Then if he says no, see what he says, but tell him no more then $1200 cause work needs to be done on the bike.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Rookie Rider

If he dont come down at all on the price tell him to put new tires on, if he does, then id give him the $1500