Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: So I checked out a used GZ for the first time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
If he dont come down at all on the price tell him to put new tires on, if he does, then id give him the $1500
Be sure to tell him what new tires, installation and balancing will cost you. He might just subtract that amount from the asking price. It will be the easy way out to sell the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
mrlmd1

The tires definitely need replacing regardless of what they look like, how much tread they have left - they are 7 years old and are too hard and brittle from age to be safe on the road.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
riningr

as far as the overall condition of the bike I'm kind of biased because I think I got a hell of a good deal, I bought mine this spring for $1400 and it was almost mint condition aside from one small spot where the paint had been rubbed off when he trailered the bike without knowing how to tie it down (so he ran two straps over the seat and one of the straps rubbed a small spot in the paint on the tank) but its only about 1/16" diameter spot that the paint is missing and its right by the seat so not very noticeable... had 9730 miles on it when I bought it, at first I was kind of getting disappointed with the bike because I am used to bigger bikes (kawi KZ750, Yam XS1100), but I've rode my GZ250 to work now 7 of the last 9 days that I worked and it is QUICKLY growing on me =) at first my main disappointments were top speed because I wanted to ride it to school which is 30 miles from my home and all freeway, I can get it up to 70 (even hit 80 on the freeway going downhill with the wind at my back a couple times) but now I've quickly decided I don't need to ride the freeway, so taking back roads at 55-60 the bike is very quickly growing on me =). Might not put quite as many miles on it (and save me as much gas as I initially thought) since I probably won't ride it to school much, but just back and forth to work and on the weekends riding back roads I've put about 700 miles on it so far this spring and the weather is just now starting to break (most mornings that I've rode to work so far have been about 38 degrees F in the morning, but getting in to the 60's and 70's and even a few in the 80's in the afternoons). I'm only getting about 55mpg on mine (because I'm 5'11" and 240lbs) but it sure feels a lot better to put $8 in every 110 miles rather than putting $40 in every 300 for my car or $100+ every 400 miles for my truck...

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Rookie Rider

I put $8 in and got 214 miles before filling up again. I still had gas and reserve left.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Thorag

I guess I forgot my good upbringing for a while when I didnt tell you how the story ended: I called the guy, and the bike was already sold. He got 1300 for it.

Bummer.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Skunkhome

There will be more and nicer bikes, believe me. I thought for the list of diffencies he was lucky to get $1300.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
northsidegz

Agreed. I think you'll find something. When I first read how the guy advertised it (80mpg), personally, that would make me shy away from the start. I don't know anyone that gets 80mpg with this bike, but I could be wrong. Just leads me to believe the guy is not truthful and I wouldn't trust him. Add in the rust (garage kept?) and original tires and I guess I'm not as optimistic as most comments were previously.

I poked around and I'd be contacting this guy personally (but maybe it's just me) ===> http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/mcy/3018023872.html
Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
PimpS

North: nice kawa and nice price tag. As I'm amazed by vintage bikes, i know my ability to service them and that's why this is one of the cons i don't buy older bikes. But don't be discouraged by this, my friends buy those bikes cause they like them, they are registered as oldtimers, so the costs of insurance are low and they are happy, even though they know nothing about mechanics. I'm more of a 'secure' guy, maybe i'll grow better with my GZ and become more able to do regular service by myself and even more. Good old kawa vn 750 or honda magna 750 is still my dream..
Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #19
bonehead

Keep a constant vigil on craigslist. Mine was only on there for 8 hours.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Keep a constant vigil on craigslist. Mine was only on there for 8 hours.
I agree. I checked cl about 8 times a day, and the one I bought just popped up on there during my lunch break. Luckily it was about 5 miles from where I work, so I ran over there and gave them $800 down and picked it up the next day.

And, it was the best one I'd seen of all the ones I had looked at or tried to buy, so you never know.

If you're on a smartphone, there's craigslist apps that would probably help.