Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
Skunkhome

Re: So I checked out a used GZ for the first time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
.... When I first read how the guy advertised it (80mpg), personally, that would make me shy away from the start. I don't know anyone that gets 80mpg with this bike, but I could be wrong. Just leads me to believe the guy is not truthful and I wouldn't trust him. l
Well, I wouldn't condemn a seller on that alone simply because I can tell you even with all the talk and concern about miles per gallon nowadays there are few people who can actually calculate their own mpg's.
People will simply parrot what they have heard or read on the Maroney Label. (Suzuki advertised 82 mph on the Gz) I will often ask what kind of mileage people are getting and I will get answers like " real good...I drove to New Orleans and back and only used a half tank of gas". Now that is a very quantative statement. That said. My GZ regularly gets between 73 and 75 mpg with E10 fuel. If I started using pure Dino gas that might kick it up to 78 mpg and if I took it easy and lost about 50-60 lbs, 80 mph might be obtainable.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
Thorag

Damn that kz 440 looked nice. Unfortunately I was super busy with school and wasn't on craigslist for a while. Usually I check it around 125 times a day. :popcorn:

Today this popped up:
nice dependable kawasaki vulcann 500 witch is the ninja 500 motor on cruiser frame and body. has 4400 miles brand new brakes and tires and speedo cable 10 miles on all new parts. selling because i got new bike. has small dent in tank fr
om kids in the garage runs and looks great. valves have been serviced timing chain inspected oil and filter done with hi flo chrome filter. ready for the summer just needs rider. asking 1800 o.b.o any resonable cash offer accepted. this is a great bike. text or call

its a little farther away so I just offered 1300 for fun. The guy agreed! Said he needs garage space as he bought a sportsbike.

Sounds good, right? Almost too good?! What should I look for?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
JWR

What year model?

I have owned a 2005.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
Thorag

Oh sorry, i thought it was in the description. It's a 1996.
Was just about to get ready to pick it up, when i got his last text. i asked him if he had the title. he replied that he has aprinted copy and bill of sale. he just got his plates and the real one is in the mail, will be there in 5 days.

so even if all that is true im now guessing that he just bought the bike, something is wrong with it, and thats why he sells it... :fu:

i wish i just had a couple grands more in the bank so that i could just walk into a dealership.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
mrlmd1

Check out used bikes at dealerships. Sometimes they can do a search and get one from another dealer close by, and you may get some type of short-term warranty if they've gone through the bike and there's no problems. At least you know the title is secure.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Thorag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Check out used bikes at dealerships. Sometimes they can do a search and get one from another dealer close by, and you may get some type of short-term warranty if they've gone through the bike and there's no problems. At least you know the title is secure.
I have a budget of like 1500. One of the reasons is that wifey thinks its to expensive So I guess I cant really go to dealers. And if i have to do repairs ill have to shred the bilss :biggrin:

The vulcan keeps getting more weird. He told me he bought the bike 2 years ago for 2,200. It sat for a while, then he let his cousin drive it. Wanted him to have his own registration and license, hence he transferred it to him. He never paid, so he wanted it back. Now he put 600$ in it to get it back in shape and just wants it gone. I though, if he has the paperwork to proof this story, then it sounds like i hit a goldmine.

then i got the next text, and I quote to give you a feel for his writing: "Im ready to go it busy as hell. Got buyer 4 my red bike fridy. 1400 cash". I replied that I am sorry I didn't get it. He told me he talked to the other guy and he doesnt have the money. Also he wanted me to have the first opportunity. From now on he's just telling all callers that its gone until he has the title in hand and he sells it to me. :??:

I did tell him i pay cash and wouldn't do any tire kicking, so i got that going for me. on the other hand i really dont see why he wouldnt accept any other offers. I guess he kinda promised it to me, but come on, who is that honest? Or maybe he really just wants it gone and realizes he doesn't have any hassle with me?

I just dont want to drive there for nothing, or be robbed at gun-point. what do you think?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

If he doesn't have the title he is trying to sell a bike that belongs to some one else. I'm sure Rionna will clarify that for you.
This bike sale is like 3 day old fish............a little bad smelling. Tread lightly or you may regret not looking elsewhere.
Canada and the U.S. are a bit different but you may want to check out the bike for any liens on it. Here we can legally own a bike and have title to it while there is a lien on it.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #28
mrlmd1

That guy is trying to scam you - you know the old adage, if a deal sounds too good to be true,,,,,,,And, Buyer beware.
Keep looking, that''s not the last bike in the world. Tell the guy to call you back when he has the title in hand., or not to pass up the next sucker who calls him.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
Skunkhome

The problem with the dealerships is that they put a premium on their "going Through it" If he has the plates and registration in his name then it is likely that he also has a title in his name somewhere. (usually can't get her registered without a clear title). It could be that he had some issues preventing the registration until now. Down here you have to have a motorcycle endorsement in order to register any bike in your name. I once bought a scooter that had been transferred twice and had the title but was never registered due to the endorsement requirement. I had to pay sales taxes and registration for each transfer of ownership to get her registered in my name.. I now make a point to ask if they have the title and a current registration in their name before going a step further. With my GZ I had the registration and plate and was riding for about two weeks before getting my title in the mail from the state. Not having the title in hand does not necessarily mean you are scamming someone. I used to sell cars and it was a common issue for people to show up with a trade without title in hand. The usual reason was "we can't find the title". I would still do the deal but charged them $100 extra to generate a new title with the provision that I would refund the money if they found the title and returned with it in 24 hours. They would usually return with the title in hand within the hour to collect their money. All they needed was a reason to spend the time looking for it. It is so easy to paint everyone with a wide brush.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #30
Skunkhome

When I am dealing with CL I make a point of meeting the buyer in a busy public place(Walmart Parking Lot) and never at my house so they can scope it out them return to rob me.