10-20 miles 3 4.17%
20-50 miles 4 5.56%
50-100 miles 8 11.11%
100-200 miles 6 8.33%
200 miles + 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
vikz250

Re: How many miles before you first whoops?

My 1st time..oh my GZ was probably 3 days old, I was practicing around our neighborhood going on an incline on a turn and I decided to shift gears!, the rear tires slipped or something and down she went! no damaged to GZ but my wrist still hurts up to now and its been 3 months..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Re: How many miles before you first whoops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz250
My 1st time..oh my GZ was probably 3 days old, I was practicing around our neighborhood going on an incline on a turn and I decided to shift gears!, the rear tires slipped or something and down she went! no damaged to GZ but my wrist still hurts up to now and its been 3 months..
Sounds like you upset your balance big time. Be sure to be in the best gear before any maneuvering and turning. A slope will always mess with any change in balance or power.
As for your wrist, get it checked out and find a therapist to teach you excercises to heal it. It will probably lead to nerve damage or loss of motor control in time. Due to a fall(work related) both my wrists are messed up and I can barely write my name on a good day. Thankfully I have this keyboard to communicate.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #33
bwader

2 years ago I got a 150cc Jonway china scooter, I was on day two of the MSF class where we started riding in the parking lot. I got home afterward a few hours later got on my scooter and practiced around the neighborhood. I pulled the front brake too hard in a left turn in some sand on pavement and I caught myself with left hand and my middle finger hurt for a while. Guy living nearby offered help and I was ok except for my finger hurt for about a month afterward. The engine shut off being in too much of an incline. I was surprised it didn't just keep running, having a CVT and all. I remembered it had a safety cutoff if on its side.

That scooter I put on 3,300 miles and I changed the oil at least 6 times and had enough tinkering and replacing cheap parts. The engine threw a piston rod through the case but I was lucky I was a few miles from home and pushed it home. Gotta love a CVT transmission for that.

Then a few months later I got my GZ and haven't had a whoops since. Other than letting go of the clutch a few times at a stand still. Lucky me it just stalls, a bigger bike wouldn't be as forgiving.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #34
mainlinecoffee

A dirtbike I fixed up landed on me after I gunned it off a stop sign,thousands of miles on various bikes and I chew pavment In front of a hobo,he asked if I was ok and proceeded to laugh.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #35
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz250 View Post
Go see a chiropractor. Find a good one first.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #36
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
Go see a chiropractor. Find a good one first.
Check the date of that post. It has been a while.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #37
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Check the date of that post. It has been a while.
Oops, senior moment.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #38
hairhouse353

definitely slow a bit before the turn but it sounds like you
Weren't looking where you wanted to go but maybe looking where you "didn't" want to go?
I was on my bike first day for 5 minutes and got thrown off slammed on front brake in a turn!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #39
Water Warrior 2

Always look where you want to go. You will naturally go where you are looking. Your body postion and muscle memory will work for you.
If you look at the side of the road on a curve you will go there. Target fixation will be the enemy and will hurt you.
Having ridden a lot on curving roads has taught me not to let my eyes stray from the direction I want to go. Even on a straight road it is best not to do more than a glance away from the road. Want to see the scenery............stop and take a good look and a pic if you want.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #40
cokebear

Thumbs Down Well TIFU

I had a car pull out right in front of me (20-30 feet) and low sided the bike. Took a spill didn't hit anything but my wrist is painful and I've got a tibial plateau fracture in my right leg. Now i've got to see an ortho and see just how bad it is.