Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
vikz250

Re: Thinking about life after GZ..already..

alantf I know what you mean, every time i try to look for a back rest for gz I just say to myself I think i'm good with the stock seat hehehe..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
PG tips

I really like the look of the 650 v-star and the Kawasaki Vulcan, either would be my ideal bike, but I suppose I should try get to ride one, its over the horizon for a few reasons. I need to put some mileage and practice on my GZ, particularly in the wet which I still dont feel comfortable with. I was getting blown around a bit on the motorway today and am easily overtaken by most stuff.
I'll be holding onto my GZ for quite a while, even if I replace it I dont think I could get let it go, I got it at a good price and I'm not sure it would be worth too much in a few years.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
vikz250

Pg tips I am also hoping I can just keep GZ when the time comes for me to get a bigger one bit that will take a lot of convincing to my wife for me to have 2 bikes..I can only imagine how beautiful the ride there where you live, my wife's mom is from scotland and maybe someday we can visit there..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
northsidegz

Hey vik, I just purchased a Vulcan 800 after riding the GZ for a year. Like you (at least, I think so if I remember your other posts), the GZ was essentially my first bike and really my only experience. I also owned an 82 Suzuki GS450 Bobber, but it was pretty similar in terms of size, weight and handling as the GZ.

When you upgrade, I think you'll see a noticable difference in various areas. If you're looking at a Boulevard, it will most certainly feel bigger and less easy to "man-handle" (for lack of a better term) than the GZ. That said, I'm finding takeoffs (i.e. going forward at a stoplight, for example) feel much nicer on a bigger bike. It's almost like gliding on a bigger bike.

So far, on the Vulcan, I'm loving the acceleration and range of speed in certain gears. I also love the low center of gravity. It is actually easier for me in cloverleaf's and other ramps on the highway as compared to the GZ. I'm not loving the MPG. That is an obvious sacrifice. Maintenance and worry-free riding are still to be seen. I won't be taking any long "trips" on it though as I just don't have the time, so won't be able to comment on that part.

Best of luck in your search when you're ready to do so!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
PimpS

Northside; kawa vulcan 800 is a beautty, but to me it looks enormously bigger or at least heavier than gz. How is the peg scraping and handling overall. Some say it's easy, some say it's heavy and robust in town-riding (u-turns, crossroads...)?
I'm still into suzuki's intruder m800, i think it's m50 in usa, but i'll have to try it and , yeah, collect the money...

Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpS
Northside; kawa vulcan 800 is a beautty, but to me it looks enormously bigger or at least heavier than gz. How is the peg scraping and handling overall. Some say it's easy, some say it's heavy and robust in town-riding (u-turns, crossroads...)?
I'm still into suzuki's intruder m800, i think it's m50 in usa, but i'll have to try it and , yeah, collect the money...
The Kawa 800 and the Intruder/M-50 are nearly 2 times the weight of a GZ. They are not a beginners bike in my opinion. Maybe for a big strong man type but not for a new rider of normal or less stature. The size and weight can be intimidating to a new nervous unskilled rider.
Don't know about the handling on the Kawa but the Intruder/M-50 is quite nice and is a hoot in the twisties.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
northsidegz

I haven't ridden an M50, but love the look. The Vulcan does not turn as easily as a GZ to say the least. U-turns will be harder. Haven't tried figure 8's on it. It's a bigger, heavier bike for sure. I'm 5'10" and weigh 225 and I can handle it ok, but I would agree that a person of any size will want to make sure they're comfortable handling a bike that size. I'm not really one that rides the twisties, so not sure how it rides comparatively, but with what limited riding I've done on it so far, I suspect it does not handle as well as an M50 or a Meanstreak or "cruiser bike" that targets that audience. I do like the low center of gravity of the Vulcan, so maybe there is some twistiness hidden in there!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

You have to get out and ride. Explore the capabilities of the bike but don't get carried away.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #19
vikz250

Thanks WW and you are right I have been lurking in the HD forums and one thing I noticed is they all have to upgrade something! If I do get one It will be stock period!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
There are a couple good reasons to ride a H-D. They are a far better bike than they used to be a few years ago and there is great dealer support with shops all over the place. A Sportster will need a lot of cash infused into it to make a touring bike. Go bigger with a larger tank, better seating and more options for bags, windshields and other creature comforts.
Or look at the Japanese cruisers with an equivalent price tag just for fun and knowledge. There are many choices from 750 and up that will fill the bill very well. Many have drive shafts or belts so there is no chain maintenance involved. Most are liquid cooled and fuel injected.
Yamaha's old standard 1100 is a rock of a bike. Air cooled I think, has carbs but is a very popular cruiser with a good reputation.
Don't know what kind of budget you may be operating with so here are a couple ideas. Go to the various websites for Japanese bikes and look for new old stock. Noncurrent bikes can be a saving and if a dealer has one on hand he may want to get it out the door with a good price or a bunch of farkles to make traveling a lot better. Or maybe riding gear for that long trip.
Take your time and look a lot, there is something out there for everyone. Craigs list has a lot of well maintained bikes that may do the deed too. Looking is free and you may also learn what not to buy.
A good way to learn about bikes that interst you is to lurk on various forums. Look for bikes that are being ridden and not worked on. You may find some bikes that are ridden and not wrenched on every nice weekend. Forums will give a general theme about the bikes and their good and bad points in short order.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #20
vikz250

Almost pulled the trigger today on a 2009 sportster 883! with 14,000 miles, some how I got approved to finance it, it was $6000 but I was able to bring it down to $5500.I'm still under GZ so the monthly will be atleast $150/month which is doable but I just don't want to force it to work..the weird thing is I can get it with 0 down and my monthly will be only $112/month but I have to keep GZ which is not possible for me to make both payments..