Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #21
PimpS

Re: Thinking about life after GZ..already..

Vkiz, you are really into it! Cool! I'm trying to give you some info, which i read about in a moto-newspaper during my sea side holliday, about HD sportster 883: Great bike, low with pegs (scraping is a thing you have to accept, said the journalist, small gas tank and MPG's much different than GZ)... How much are the triumphs in america, are there many? Bonneville and America? Now you have the time to try all and decide after... Good luck!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
paulisnofun

I love the look of the HD Sportster 883. I would really like to upgrade my bike next season to either the 883, or maybe a Triumph Bonneville. Chances are I will go smaller, I am not sure how much of a difference in riding you see when switching from a 250 to a 900.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz250
Almost pulled the trigger today on a 2009 sportster 883! with 14,000 miles, some how I got approved to finance it, it was $6000 but I was able to bring it down to $5500.I'm still under GZ so the monthly will be atleast $150/month which is doable but I just don't want to force it to work..the weird thing is I can get it with 0 down and my monthly will be only $112/month but I have to keep GZ which is not possible for me to make both payments..
Wise move not getting the 883. From the sounds of it you do not have the disposible income to just go out and buy a bike. Don't be bike poor just because you want it. The added cost of a H-D is huge compared to the GZ.
I was once car poor with a small fleet to support, maintain and insure. Yeah a personal fleet of stuff on wheels. That also included a couple dirt bikes and their transport trailer. Been there done that.
Buying a new ride may seem like a good idea(0%financing)at the time but what if you have a slight financial meltdown elsewhere and that new bike payment is going to hold back your recovery in a big way.
I'm all for new toys and such cause I was a younger go get em kinda guy once too. You only live once and all that stuff but just be sure you can survive your desires without being forced to live in a cardboard box. Or in a clapped out van for that matter.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
northsidegz

Agreed on not putting yourself underwater just to upgrade. If what you have now works, just make sure you keep that in mind before pulling the trigger (i.e. makes you think, "do I really want/need to upgrade right now?"). Personally, six grand is more than I paid for my past two VEHICLES! COMBINED! LOL. (a Neon and a Windstar for those wondering)

And I don't remember whereabouts you live, but be sure you have a mechanic around if you're thinking of a Triumph. Generally speaking, you'll have a pretty wide range of mechanics available if you go with a Harley or a Japanese bike. Once you get in the British, Italian, and other manufacturers, it seems as though the availability for local parts and mechanics dwindles significantly (of course, I've only owned Japanese bikes, so this is based on what I read, not what I've experienced).

I just know I wouldn't want to be this guy - see link (it's worth noting, he's in Hibbing, which is not really that close to the main cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul):
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...198422403.html
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
vikz250

Here is the Sportster 883XL..coments??..

Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
northsidegz

As far as 2009 Sportsters go, I think it's a great looking bike and you'd be getting a reasonable price. I would wonder if you would outgrow the Sportster (?). I haven't ridden one. I don't know. I have only heard of folks outgrowing their Sportster quickly. Kinda like a GZ. LOL. I know the Harley engine delivers it's power differently than other motorcycles. So an 883 doesn't necessarily feel like, say, an 805 from a Suzuki or a Kawasaki. It would feel less powerful than the Japanese bike (or that's how I understand it, again, never ridden one and I could be totally wrong).

Personally, I'd rather save up my money (rather than finance now) and instead get a used VStar, Intruder, Vulcan, Shadow, Boulevard, etc down the road. But that's just me. Lots of folks love Harley!

I think it's a great color. Great chrome. Looks super nice! If it's your thing, sounds like a good buy.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
blaine

I have to agree,I have rode different years of the Sporster & IMHO I think they are terrible!! I find them to be under powered & very uncomfortable.Was very glad to get back on my 23 year old Kawasaki.Just my two cents.
:cool:

Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
Water Warrior 2

The bike looks pretty good. I do wonder why the side panels do not match the rest of the paint color.
The 883 is generally considered to be a starter bike/first bike in the H-D line. More like a GZ than you thought, right. The 883 is an around town bike with a small tank which I'm sure can be upgraded at a bigger optional tank at a surprising price. If you like the look but want a bit lower price tag and running costs/insurance etc Suzuki has your bike. Look at an M-50. Bigger tank, liquid cooled, FI and all the other good stuff. Or test sit a C-50 with a bigger seat, different bars, floorboards etc. You could probably get a new one @0% if it is old new stock. The 50 series bikes are 800 V-twins that fit most needs without breaking the bank. New or used, you will find a bunch on CL.
Not intending to sound like an advertisement for Suzy but I honestly can't wrap my head around owning a H-D without it being a big touring model with all the bells and whistles. A large % of the riders I know have H-D baggers and they love them but I don't have their money and the desire to try wearing one out. I also can't afford the required wardrobe that seems to be a requirement of ownership.
Just rambling thoughts from an old retired guy. :2tup:
Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
vikz250

Thanks Water warrior, the only problem is my dealer here does not carry a lot of models in Suzuki and one problem too is its seemed easier to get financed by HD compared to Suzuki not sure why and no if I ever get an HD I will still stick to my old "gear" of silver and gray hehehe..
Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #30
northsidegz

You may enjoy researching some legitimate dealers that specialize in shipping bikes all over. There's one in Texas I remember seeing and hearing positive things about (something like American Trading Company or something like that, I forget the name --- they post a lot on Youtube, but they specialize in higher end stuff).

There's one in Wisconsin, Big Bend, that advertises on CycleTrader a lot (see link). I know they Finance and their shipping isn't too outrageous (and since they do a lot of it, they are a trusted dealership). They'll be a heckuva lot cheaper than a Harley. Only bad thing is you wouldn't be able to test ride. To some degree, enough research can overcome the lack of a test ride. But I know most would suggest test riding first.

http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...wsort=1&page=1