Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Ololorat

Question about on/pri/res positions

Hi guyz
I have a question:
In cold weather I couldn't start my bike and just tried PRI position and engine started to work. From description in manual it doesn't look that PRI position could help (I use my bike often and didn't drive just for couple of days so there was no lack of fuel in carburetor).
Does it mean that in ON position something can be wrong?
Also in manual it is said that "Upon starting the engine, be sure to return the fuel valve to the ON position". So is it going to be a problem if I drive when valve position is PRI (I read manual after doing that)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Question about on/pri/res positions

In the Prime position the valve in the petcock is open and fuel flows by gravity into the carb.
In the Run position the valve is opened by the vacuum generated by the engine, allowing fuel to flow. The fuel flow is shut off when the engine is not running. (There is no Off position, the fuel flow is off when the engine is off).
In the Reserve position the valve is also opened by the vacuum allowing fuel to flow, but it is flowing through another shorter pipe in the tank.
You should not have to have the petcock in the Prime position unless there is something wrong with the petcock (unlikely) or if there is no vacuum to the petcock.
Check that the vacuum line is attached to the petcock and that there are no cuts or leaks in it.

Prime should have nothing to do with starting the bike unless the bike has been sitting for a couple of months and there is no gas in the carb. You only put it there for a minute or so to fill up the carb, not to run the motor.
You should not leave the bike with the engine not running with the petcock in Prime - if the needle valve in the carb is dirty or leaking, you will be dripping gas all over the floor.

After the bike starts, does it run in the Run position?
A more basic question is, is there gas in the tank?

Are you using the choke properly to get the bike started in the cold weather, and even for the first start of the day when it is warm?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
raul10141964

the cold weather harden the rubber houses an that can lid to a vacuum leak preventing the petcock to open

Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Ololorat

motorcycle worked well after starting and changing PRI to ON and there is some fuel in the tank

I just wanted to know if I already damaged something when didn't change PRI position to ON while driving
and it sounds strange for me that I was able to start it in PRI and wasn't in ON (so may be it is a sign of something wrong)

Sorry for stupid questions. I am a newbie female biker so I know nothing about technical maintenance of motorcycles)

Also yesterday night was very cold so I couldn't start the bike at all and probably uncharged the battery while trying. And today was warmer but I also couldn't start it in the morning cuz of low battery so my neighbor pushed the bike while I was on the 1st gear and I released the clutch and run to work. I hoped that on the way to work my battery would be charged but that didn't happen and I couldn't start it in the evening also)
I had a slope so was able to start it using inertia and now I am thinking about what should I do to the battery: do I need to charge it or just run for few more miles.

thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Just a female newbie. Not a problem. We get a lot of newbies of both genders searching for answers to questions. You likely need to charge the battery to eliminate the lack of power first. A Battery Tender is a small smart trickle charger ideal for bikes. A great investment for all riders.
Getting back to the fuel switch. There is a vacuum line and a fuel line on it's back side. One goes to the carb and the other to the engine vacuum source. If this V line is brittle or hard it may not be sealing properly at either end. It may have a crack in it as mentioned earlier. You can pull it off and use it as an example at your local auto parts store and they will have a replacement for you. What they need is the diameter and will cut off a proper length for you. Make sure you specify vacuum line.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Ololorat

So today is 53F I could start my bike in the morning but only when PRI was turned on
after I started I change it to ON position and had no problems to run to work
so I'll check vacuum line this evening
Thanks guyz
My Suzuki 250GZ is 2003 and has 14k miles so probably there should be a lot of stuff to fix.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ololorat
I could start my bike in the morning but only when PRI was turned on
after I started I change it to ON position and had no problems
This is starting to sound more like the float bowl emptying while the bike is standing. Before trying to start it, do you notice any fuel under the bike? or is the carb damp underneath? If the bike runs ok in "run", once you use "prime" to fill the bowl, then I don't think that the problem could possibly be the vacuum hose. Seems like you're going to have to strip the carb and find out.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Ololorat

and also there is no such problem when weather is warm (I would say more than 60 F)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
alantf

Errrrrrrr...... Your location says "United States". Can you put your location, so that we know that you're a real person?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Ololorat

Ok I live in Birmingham, AL (USA). I just didn't know what exactly should I write as my location (country or city)
how can that prove that I am a real person?
I am also not an american and not a native English speaker, so may be I have some errors

I have a "troll" nickname because I used it on couple of other sites and I like it and want to keep but I am not a troll or something, I really want to understand my bike