Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Taurusx2

Geat use of a 3 dollar scissor jack.

I got bored. I made a plate that would mount to the bottom of the bike just in front of the rear wheel and to the top of a scissor jack I found at a pawn shop. I don't know why Suzuki put that nifty little mounting area under there, but it sure did make this project worthwhile for me. It holds the bike nice and steady. I hope this inpires someone.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
one

i see it will lift the bike. will you feel comfortable pulling a wheel (upsetting the balance) on this or do you think it will need more bracing?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Taurusx2

I would absolutely feel comfortable pulling the rear wheel off of the bike. The reason for creating it was for two purposes. One was for easy lubrication of the chain and the other to remove the wheel without anything in my way. A scissors jack is geared preventing the the base or the lifting head from teetering. The plate is finger tightened to the frame and bolted permanently to the jack. The plate is made from a wheel mount off of the rear of a high wheel mower and I believe the jack may have originally resided in a Ford Ranger! I may get the plate welded to the jack. I did think of widening the base a little but it seems to be fine when pusing the bike side to side. I just won't get carried away! It does a heck of a better job then trying to balance the bike on a hydraulic jack. Not bad for three bucks and some spare metal lying around!

Old 11-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Badbob

If you wanted more stability you could mount the jack on piece of 3/4 inch plywood. If you used a large enough piece you could make it so stable you would have a hard time pushing it over.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Badbob

I wonder if you could use two jacks and get both wheels off the ground.