Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
xt477

Oil change

Had been thinking about changing my oil. Even though I only have 200 miles on it. Bike has seemed to run hotter and harder to shift than when I first rode it home. After reading around on Dons Motorcycle page (he suggested changing after 150 miles) I went to the store and bought everything today. Dont know if you can see it but after looking at what looked like metal shavings in the old filter I think I'm glad I did. Oil was still a nice brown, filter had definetly did its job.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There is a period on my new motorcycles called the break-in period, for the very reason you mentioned; metal shavings in the filter.

As you start riding around on a freshly produced engine, loose shavings and some metal shavings that come from the boring of screw holes get moved around in your engine oil. There is no way to get all of these shavings out from the factory, so you'll occasionally catch them in your filter.

You really hit the nail on the head. We have oil filters for a reason. And it looks like you've figured it out.

Take care,
Jonathan

PS: Your filter doesn't actually look too bad. I;ve seen 1/2" drill-bit-formed metal shavings before.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
xt477

"I;ve seen 1/2" drill-bit-formed metal shavings before"

Oh man I would have beelined for the dealer!! Yes they wern't large chunks but it had a nice gray tint to it. Took the bike out this morning and it ran like a champ! Was kind of worried about the rings not seating right changing it too early.

I'm sure its not, but does anyone know if the 600 mile service is included in the price of the bike?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt477
I'm sure its not, but does anyone know if the 600 mile service is included in the price of the bike?
Your right, it's not.
Unless they were running some kind of "special" or you made a sweet-heart deal with your salesman. Both highly unlikely.

Although almost no mfg. recommends it any more, it used to be fairly common to recommend an oil & filter change at 1-200 miles and then again at 600.
A lot of "old timers" will still do that. Not that you are an old timer but you done good!