Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
BadMojo

Fuel Valve Hose

As you all know I just became the proud owner of a GZ250. She was used but well taken care of. Anyhow I found that the previous owner was running with the fuel valve on PRI instead of the RUN position. I talked to a friend of mine and he suggested I replace the hose. When these are worn they don't necessaraly show wear on the outside. So I did, since I was originally going to take the valve off and clean the stem this seamed like a less costly and labor intensive alternative for me, so I did. Well it worked. Appearantly what occures is that when the carb sucks the gas (in the RUN position) it creates presure on the hose and since its weak and it can't handle this pressure it colapses and the engin cuts off. So if anyone here has a similar problem try this first, it worked for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Badbob

The GZ250 has a vacuum actuated petcock. There are two lines going to the petcock. One is fuel and the other is a vacuum line. With the petcock the run position there is vacuum from the engine and the petcock opens. This allows fuel to flow. If there is no vacuum no fuel will flow to the carburetor. A bad vacuum line could keep fuel from flowing to the carburetor in the run position.

Prime is for starting the engine when you have run out of gas. Once the engine has started the petcock should be switched to the run position.

It is dangerous to leave the petcock in prime. If a needle valve in the carburetor gets stuck open you could find several gallons of gasoline in the floor of your garage.