Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
raddad70

Letgo won’tgo

Bought this 2000 with 14k on the clock on letgo. It was advertised as sat for a year does not run and don’t know why? Over the last 6 years I buy a bike in similar condition and have refurb and customize them. I seem to do more wrenching than riding lol. I should have walked away when the po said it sat outside for 3 years PA winters and all. Also electrical and carb parts missing. But after driving an hour with a rented trailer in tow he dropped his price in half so I came home with it. First major issue - I thought the motor was locked up but bolts holding the starter clutch backed out and sheared off. Flywheel and starter clutch need replaced. Here’s some pics of a loose mock up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by raddad70; 04-23-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
raddad70

Should I keep going?

This bike has me a little nervous! I removed the flywheel today. It took monster truck force to get it off. The whole assembly is toast with the exception of the starter clutch gears and bearing. I know these bike aren’t worth much and I have just over $300 into it. Someone please tell me these bikes are bulletproof because as much is I would love to get this little cruiser back on the road I may have a “clincker”. Unfortunately I have no history on it and assume at least the first few owners did some maintenance on it. 11k ain’t a lot of miles. Unfortunately I can’t even do a compression test until I replace the flywheel. Short list of other things before bike is ready to start. Replace starter solenoid and igniter- both missing. Spark plug, battery, clean and rebuild carb. Carb also missing parts Change oil and filter and air filter-also missing then maybe just maybe it will start. Curious if any of the nasty big slivers of metal shavings made their way into the crankcase? Yikes!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

I guess the question for you is how much is it worth to you to bring it back to life. It is not a high end bike and after you replace or repair everything on it, you are going to have more money into it than it is worth. I see newer bikes that are up and running for $500 to $600 bucks depending on the market. Just sayin"

PS: I have a 2009 with 22K+ miles on it and it has been bullet proof. Other than normal maintenance items, I have not had to put much into it over the course of the eight years that I have owned it.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
raddad70

Thanks for your reply and I totally agree! Part of it I was just thinking out loud. I’ve owned a couple Suzuki’s in the past and both were in rough shape when I took them on. I had a RV90 van van and a GS450L. IMHO Suzuk’s fit and finish isn’t the best at least the older bikes, but they do seem to run very well. I probably will go through with this and it may cost me more than if I bought a runner but I don’t see these for sale that often unlike the rebels and I said it before the GZ had me with that fat front tire. Maybe I still long for my old RV90 lol.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Vegas Street Rider

I know you have plans to modify your bike, but the reason it appealed to me was because of it's classic cruiser style. Don't get me wrong, I love the Cafe Racer and Rat bike looks but it's just not for me. Good luck with your project. I look forward to seeing your progress.