Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
BabyGoat

Help! 2008 GZ250 alive but also dead

I bought this bike a couple years ago with ~3500 original miles on it, garaged most of its life. A couple months ago I was letting my friend passenger as practice, we get a few blocks down her street and the bike coughs a couple times and then dies off. Thanks to some Youtube tips I was able to pinpoint what I thought was the problem--the wiring harness had been incorrectly installed on the wheel side of the rear fender, so when the additional weight was on the back the wires were hitting the tire and getting chewed up. I spliced them back together no problem, put the harness back where it was supposed to be, fixed a couple blown fuses, and now all lights are live but the bike is dead. Aka I now own a zombie bike.

Other checks I was able to do myself: I replaced the starter solenoid and the engine cranks when I touch the + and - wires to the solenoid together, but that didn't actually start it. There's absolute silence when I hit the starter switch, no click or buzz from the relay or anything. Continuity for the starter switch and kill switch are both fine. I'm going to do a spark plug check when I can have someone help me because I can't be on both sides of the bike at once to do the wire touching and also see if it's getting spark.

Aside from that, all the other electrical checks involve removing the fuel tank and I just don't have the capacity to be messing around with draining or clipping it off or whatever. So if anyone has ideas about what else I could try before I throw in the towel and take it in, I'd appreciate it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by BabyGoat; 06-01-2020 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added info