Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
kboldin

New to Me, Carb Maybe More??

Long story shorter, I ‘m new to the GZ250, bought the bike several weeks ago and here’s what’s happened. The bike started in the previous owners driveway when I bought it, she said it wouldn’t stay running. I noticed right away it had a fuel leak, the carb bowl was not tightened down. Getting the bike home I pulled the carb, looked for anything else obvious, tightened the bowl back down I tried to start it. Fuel was leaking everywhere when it was switched to the PRI position. Did a little research and found that PRI is a constant flow and vacuum was needed for Run and Reserve. At this point I removed the carb, cleaned it, put in a rebuild kit and re-installed it. The bike still had sizable fuel leak on PRI but no leak on Run or Res. Did a little more research, read the manual (pictures are horrible by the way), reset the float to 13mm and reinstalled. The bike does not leak fuel anymore, but it won’t run either. It will start for about 3 seconds then shuts off, if I wait 30 seconds or so it will restart for another 3 seconds. I read the manual and looked at the parts phish but I’m not certain I have the correct set up. I’m hoping other can confirm as I trust NOTHING the previous owner has done. Does my float level look correct and are the jets in the correct orientation? I appreciate any advise you all might have, things I need to look for etc… Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200727_184438.jpg (92.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20200727_184456.jpg (93.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20200727_184504.jpg (87.4 KB, 16 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

I can't help you much in regard to the set up of your carb, but do a search on it here in the forum. There were some good videos and pictures in regard to rebuilding and making the adjustments that might help you.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
kboldin

The above jet position is correct. The book confirms it in a round about way. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

Glad you were able to get it figured out. I love my GZ and have just turned 22K miles on it with little to no trouble. I had to rebuild the fuel petcock, replace the front seals, and put a new brake pad on the front. Other than that, I just replaced the chain and installed a 16T front sprocket.

It is a very stable bike and good for newbies or old farts like me that have downsized from multiple other bikes. Hope you get it running soon and enjoy it as much as I have.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:23 AM   #5
wacio

You failed to mention what year is your bike. If older than few years it will need new bowl gasket. The don't seal correctly once rubber hardened from age. Look at my post about carb service video from Shaun. I agree - typically serviced carbs are miss assembled and/or damaged by prior attempts.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Donald McPherson

You could just buy a new carburettor. They are not that expensive.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #7
kboldin

New OEM carb runs about $350, it's also on back order! If you know an alternative PLEASE SEND LINK!!!!! LOL! I've been looking for another way, issue is still unresolved.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
kboldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
You failed to mention what year is your bike. If older than few years it will need new bowl gasket. The don't seal correctly once rubber hardened from age. Look at my post about carb service video from Shaun. I agree - typically serviced carbs are miss assembled and/or damaged by prior attempts.
Its a 99, I rebuilt the carb, all new r-rings, gaskest, needle and seat and float needle and seat.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
kboldin

Got the bike back and it doesn't appear to be leaking during the Run or Res position but will leak when on Prime, technician says it's normal. I'm not 100% sold on that idea but I'm going with it. Next issue it bogs under heavier acceleration, typically at the top of any gear.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #10
wacio

If it leaks on prime petcock position - bad float level adjustment or leaking float valve.
Carb should never leak if all good.