Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 05-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Tomcat13t

Tomcat's GZ250

This is my GZ250. I just recently bought the sissy bar and saddle bags off of a guy selling his GZ. He gave me them both including saddlebag supports for $150. He was nice enough to install them for me too! I think I got a pretty good deal out if it.

I also added these cheap ebay turn signals as amber running lights to be seen better from the back. They are small but make a big difference at night.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Tomcat's GZ250

Nice bags. I notice that they're pretty close to the muffler, so you stand a good chance of the bags getting burned. a common problem with the GZ's upswept muffler. You need to pop rivet an aluminium plate to the bottom of the bag. :2tup:
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Your bike looks good. The added factory pinstriping adds a touch of class.

You may want to check with your local LEO about running amber lights full time on the rear of the bike. Red is good but amber might not be legal.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
northsidegz

Lookin nice!

(and yep, I also had to put something on the bottom of my bags due to the burning)

Congrats on the good deal.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Tomcat13t

Thanks everyone. The bottom of the bags do have impressions of the previous owner's muffler so it would be a good idea. Plus I ride with my girlfriend on the back and I think that lowers the bags even closer. I'll put it on a priority for my to-do list for my GZ.

I also need to replace the spark plug and I want to do a needle shim modification but don't want to ruin a good thing. My GZ tops at 83 and can pull me and my girlfreind around on the highway with little to no problem. I have noticed a little blueing on my muffler, right at the begining. I read that it means its running a little too lean but I don't know if just a little is normal.

WW, I never even though about asking. I actually just got done interning with my towns Police Department. Next time I see them I'll ask.

Thanks everyone, I love this site with all the amazing information. I've been searching around A LOT and have been learning a ton. I hope to contribute as much as I can and stay active here. It seems like a really good community from what I've seen.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat13t
I want to do a needle shim modification but don't want to ruin a good thing. My GZ tops at 83 and can pull me and my girlfreind around on the highway with little to no problem. I have noticed a little blueing on my muffler, right at the begining. I read that it means its running a little too lean but I don't know if just a little is normal.
You may not need to shim the needle unless exhaust or intake is modified.
You likely just need to do a idle mixture adjustment. (pilot jet) They are set extremely lean from the factory to pass emissions.
:cool:

Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
Tomcat13t

Will this help with any slight power increase? The pipes aren't that blue, I'll try and get a picture of them soon. I'm just looking to get the best out of what I have.

On a side note, I just can't seem to get the squeak out of the front brakes. I took them apart when I first got it and used some brakes silencer stuff but it didn't help any. I just took them off again to see if they had any unusual wear but they look pretty good. I put more of that stuff on and it seems to help a little, but at a certain brake amount something is still vibrating. Any thoughts?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
I just can't seem to get the squeak out of the front brakes. I took them apart when I first got it and used some brakes silencer stuff but it didn't help any. I just took them off again to see if they had any unusual wear but they look pretty good. I put more of that stuff on and it seems to help a little, but at a certain brake amount something is still vibrating. Any thoughts?
Probably the previous owner threw away the anti squeal shims when he changed the pads. They're so thin that he may have missed them. If the squeal is really bad, and you can't cure it, you may have to invest in a set. They're shown in the parts manual. (page 48, item 15)
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Will this help with any slight power increase? The pipes aren't that blue, I'll try and get a picture of them soon. I'm just looking to get the best out of what I have.
When you say they are a little blue,that's what makes me think that a mixture adjustment will fix your problem with no need to shim. It will give you a slight increase as you will be running a little richer.
:cool:

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Tomcat13t

Here is a picture of the blue pipes:

I read up on some posts about adjusting the idle mixture and think I understand most of it. Thanks for your help blaine. I'll probably get around to it sometime this week.

Thank you so much alantf!! I had no idea those shims even existed. I'll have to try and find some cause its driving me crazy. :cuss: