Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 AM   #1
dustin1455

gz250 project

hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 2000 GZ250 as a project to work on. It's in pretty rough shape as it was left sitting for god knows how long. anyhow i am looking for advice on restoring the bike. i don't really know where to begin or which order i should do things. i am looking to go over the entire bike and repair/replace anything that needs it. thanks for any help.

Also i will be looking for a few parts for this bike so i will be posting in the classifieds shortly with what i currently need. so anyone looking to part out their bike or just has some spare parts hit me up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to the forum dustin1455. For starters, you should drain the tank and put fresh gas in along with Seafoam to get things cleaned out. The carb also needs to be gone through as I am sure there is plenty of varnish build up. Oil change with Seafoam as well to clean things out inside. Lube all the cables and other lube points, and probably replace the battery. You might spray the electrical switches with contact cleaner as well. Check the condition of tires, spokes, brake pad life, chain lube and adjustment, and all your lights. That should keep you busy for a while. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Welcome to the forum dustin1455. For starters, you should drain the tank and put fresh gas in along with Seafoam to get things cleaned out. The carb also needs to be gone through as I am sure there is plenty of varnish build up. Oil change with Seafoam as well to clean things out inside. Lube all the cables and other lube points, and probably replace the battery. You might spray the electrical switches with contact cleaner as well. Check the condition of tires, spokes, brake pad life, chain lube and adjustment, and all your lights. That should keep you busy for a while. Good luck with your project.
Do not forget to lube the side stand and spray the side stand cut off switch. You might want to just replace all the bulbs. They do get dimmer with age whether in use or not. That includes the Halogen headlight bulb.

Oh, don't forget to lube and inspect the inner speedo cable.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Richard1969

Good luck with the project I am in a similar position having been given one that needs a lot of TLC. I am in the UK and think I would rather keep the original spec than customise it. I am hoping to find some decent breakers for parts over here there are loads over there but postage hurts the pocket.