Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Motorcycle Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
With all due respect, I think you over-estimate the learning ability of the "average" person.
Perhaps Easy, perhaps. But remember, we are talking about the average Motorcycle rider which, I'm sure we all agree, is far smarter than the population at large. :jo:

Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if all these 30 year riders that learned something took a different course. Don't go too fast, don't follow too closely, outside-inside-outside, use both brakes to stop, lean the bike to turn, look where you want to go. Not exactly Secrets of the Universe. But, as I've seen elsewhere here, to each his own. I thought it was overrated, will continue to think so, and am content to be overruled (and ignored) by those of a different opinion. It certainly didn't hurt me to take it, and I met some fun folks of like mind, but if someone that has already ridden over 500 miles is deciding whether to get a new front tire (or a kickass, armored jacket) or take the course (for $400 plus), I say get the tire or the jacket.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Take the riding course. Correct bad habits before they get set in stone sort of thing. Cost us $700 each but well worth it IMHO. Lynda was a newbie and I had decades of experience. Learn from an instructor instead of by accident. I never had an accident in all my years on the street but I will not say I was a good rider. I was a very lucky rider though. After the course my VStrom became a lot easier to ride and I had less pucker moments overall. I have yet to talk to a riding student who did not learn a lot. Oh there was one. She was in our course actually. Could aim a bike from point A to point B and figured that's all there was to it. During the on-street instruction she was a hazard to everyone and would try to argue with the instructor when corrected. I doubt she ever passed and got her license.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
After the course my VStrom became a lot easier to ride and I had less pucker moments overall.
WW, out of curiosity, what things did you learn from the course that you hadn't learned in your years of experience?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:
After the course my VStrom became a lot easier to ride and I had less pucker moments overall.
WW, out of curiosity, what things did you learn from the course that you hadn't learned in your years of experience?
Looking through a turn to get the bike to go where you want it to smoothly through a curve. I had a horrible habit of looking 10' infront of me which doesnt make for smooth cornering.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #15
alanmcorcoran

From Hough, Proficient Motorcycling page 90:

Look

"Before you dive into a corner at full chat, you really ought to figure out where the road goes...

...When you are ready to dive into the curve, swivel your head around to point your nose toward your intended line."

Page 110:

"...get your eyes up and looking towards the next turn, not down at the pavement rolling under your front wheel."

Proficient Motorcycling was recently revised and updated and is a gorgeous book (seriously! lots of color pictures, big type, thick paper!) I can tell you without reservation, if you ride regularly (and can read), it will be the best 25 bucks you spend on bike related paraphernalia.

I studied the book prior to taking the class. I found that the class "borrowed" nearly all of their material from Mr. Hough. In some cases, they mangled it a bit, and in more than a few, they dumb it down. The book covers far more techniques and situations than MSF, is very well organized, and manages to be both deadly serious and funny at the same time. (I am totally not making anything off the sales of this book.) I know I probably have earned a rep on this site as being somewhat full of shit (well-deserved, I might add) but I promise you will not be disappointed if you pick this up. I've read a lot of books on skiing, bicycling, weight lifting, etc. and this is one of the best ever of its kind. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

....buy the effing book!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Proficient Motorcycling was recently revised and updated and is a gorgeous book (seriously! lots of color pictures, big type, thick paper!) I can tell you without reservation, if you ride regularly (and can read), it will be the best 25 bucks you spend on bike related paraphernalia.
I have it too. It IS a great book.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Jer

I've been reading this at Borders when I go on break at work.

I work nearby. I come over and read on my lunch.

Its a GREAT book.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:
A great deal of my faults were with low speed handling and the use of the rear brake and riding/slipping the clutch properly. Very old cage training: never slip the clutch b/c you will destroy it. Yah well, bikes have an oil bath clutch and will endure a lot of abuse with no issues. Using the rear brake when manuevering in tight places works very well. I probably knew most of my faults but was just too lazy to change for the better/safer. I also read Proficient Motorcycling a couple years ago and got a lot from it. The training course took it to actual practice with a very observant instructor. You can teach an old dog new tricks with a little effort and reasons to learn proper technique. There are a lot of little things that come to mind when riding that I was never aware of before the course. Never trust your mirrors entirely. Always do a shoulder check before initiating a turn, you never know when some one will try to sneak past you. Alway scan left to right every few seconds, this is a must with wildlife. We get deer and bears right in town so it can't hurt. Being in the outdoors capital of Canada is a hoot but can be dangerous. All manner of moving things on the roads and stuff that falls off of them. This is where avoidance manuevering comes into play.
As for the price of the training. It was a bargain with what I learned.The cheapest life insurance you will ever buy.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
NB250

Well, after considering all the advice I've received here and from friends, I've decided to take the course. Although the price seems steep, I (hopefully) have about 30 years left of biking so it makes it seem like a good investment.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Dupo mentioned looking through the curve and not directly in front of the bike. Total agreement there. Looking through the curve and where you want to end up is the best way to add pleasure to the ride. I have watched Lynda in curvy sections and the GZ acts like it is on rails. Just so very smooth and well balanced due to rider observation and input at the right time. Even on a straight rode you need to look further down the road. Avoiding road hazards/pot holes/fire wood/garbage/animals is a full time job. Ride Safe.