Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
diffluere

Re: Proper parking protocol? And gear question?

I usually park in my own spot. Since Gainesville is a scooter/motorcycle friendly area (for the most part) a lot of people just park up on the sidewalk, off to the side of the store. I don't like to do this because I'm still scared to ride up on something that's 4" tall and made of concrete. Some places have those ramps where you can get up easily. Some places, like the new Wal-Mart have scoot/bike parking. Some of my friends like to share a spot when we ride together, some of them think bikes should be allowed to take up their own spot and we park separately.

I try not to park next to bigass trucks or those white kidnapper-type work vans. I figure people won't see my bike around one of those and whip in to my spot and hit me.

I have one of those big metal u-locks used for bicycles, and I'll put it through my helmet's visor and around my sissy bar. If I'm at school ALL DAY I usually take it with me, because in Florida you never know when it might rain, and some college students are just jerks enough to try and pick the lock or mess with the helmet. Some people are brave enough to leave their helmets unlocked on the back of their bikes at school - not me!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWife
Just wondering if there are any specific laws/rules/etiquette regarding parking bikes in a parking lot. I felt kind of bad taking up a whole parking spot up front yesterday, but didn't want to to leave it open in the back and kinda figured there are laws against parking on the sidewalk :biggrin: I've seen bikes parked in the lines in the front of large parking lots, is that cool or no?

Also what do you guys do with your helmets when you leave the bike? I'm sure there's not a huge market for stolen pink helmets but I still feel weird just leaving it hanging on the handlebars- I've had one of my kid's drinks stolen out of a stroller by some punk girls (I guess they thought the military canteen was a flask and I was carrying alcohol around at a local festival midday?? idiots) so I know some people will take stuff just because they're idiots.

And just got in the boots I ordered. Irritated that they say "after riding".... so is there something specific to be looking for in protective foot gear? Steel toed? Or is just heavy leather okay?

Thanks!!
Hello! I'm just a new girl myself, but I thought I would chime in anyway...
Don't feel bad at all about taking up a whole parking spot...you're allowed! And be careful about parking in the lines in front of the parking lot...my dad got a ticket a couple of years ago for doing that at the Carousel Mall in Syracuse, NY.
I take my pink/butterfly helmet with me...don't think there's a huge market, but hey you never know what someone might think is funny. I've got to search around under my seat for that helmet hook too. Good to read this on the forum.
And it's funny because I just discovered the other day that my Harley boots have a small tag in the box that says "after riding." I believe their riding boots have a steel toe in them. I continue to wear my "after riding" boots when I ride and I think they're very adequate and safe.
Enjoy your new bike!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
Quote:
And just got in the boots I ordered. Irritated that they say "after riding"....
And it's funny because I just discovered the other day that my Harley boots have a small tag in the box that says "after riding."
Ladies, please.......
I think you have the wrong impression of the "after riding" tag. Have either of you actually READ what it says on the tag ?? Maybe it is instructions for cleaning, oiling and/or polishing the riding boots.....after the ride !?!?!!? :shocked: :biggrin:

Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
bonehead

Apres ski boots maybe?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Quote:
And just got in the boots I ordered. Irritated that they say "after riding"....
And it's funny because I just discovered the other day that my Harley boots have a small tag in the box that says "after riding."
Ladies, please.......
I think you have the wrong impression of the "after riding" tag. Have either of you actually READ what it says on the tag ?? Maybe it is instructions for cleaning, oiling and/or polishing the riding boots.....after the ride !?!?!!? :shocked: :biggrin:
i am not quite sure that any one would make boots specifically for after riding, just about any boots are going to be good for riding, you do not need to have a steel toe, i see guys with no shirt and a pair of flip flops cruzing down the road all the time, only thing they are wearing is glasses, shorts and hopefully a pair of underwear haha.

i have a pair of harley shift boots and i love them. way better to ride in than any of my other boots, they do not have a steel toe. but the seem to set on my foot pegs so much better than regular boots, they also go half way up my legs. witch is good encase a bike ever does fall over on you and your legs gets cot under the exhaust pipe.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
alantf

Quote:
I've got to search around under my seat for that helmet hook too.
Actually there are two hooks - one on each side - so that if you've got a passenger, you can fasten both helmets. :2tup:
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Actually there are two hooks - one on each side - so that if you've got a passenger, you can fasten both helmets. :2tup:
Ok, they are'nt exactly "hooks", they are two peices of flat bar welded to the frame extending inward right around the deep part of the tool area.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Ok, they are'nt exactly "hooks", they are two peices of flat bar welded to the frame extending inward right around the deep part of the tool area.
yeah not hooks, more like a tab sticking like i mentioned, any one have pics of them. i no longer have my gz or i would take a pic to show you how it works..

when i got my gz it took me a few days to figure out where the helmet locks were, i think some one on here may have informed me where they were located.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
bonehead

Oh ya, just hook your "d" rings on the helmet strap over it and replace your seat. About as secure as you can get.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
SuziQ07

"i am not quite sure that any one would make boots specifically for after riding, just about any boots are going to be good for riding, you do not need to have a steel toe, i see guys with no shirt and a pair of flip flops cruzing down the road all the time, only thing they are wearing is glasses, shorts and hopefully a pair of underwear haha."

"i have a pair of harley shift boots and i love them. way better to ride in than any of my other boots, they do not have a steel toe. but the seem to set on my foot pegs so much better than regular boots, they also go half way up my legs. witch is good encase a bike ever does fall over on you and your legs gets cot under the exhaust pipe."

Very funny!! The tag has no information about cleaning and polishing etc. It's a Harley Davidson sales tactic that they use. Their boots are either for "riding" or "after riding." The riding boots are double the price. When I first went into my local Harley dealership in Syracuse, NY they must have known I was a newbe sucker right away because the salesgirl is like "you should really purchase the women's Harley riding boots...they're so much safer and heavier blah blah blah." I ended up buying my Harley boots at our Army/Navy camping supply store in town for a lot less. I had the same experience when I went shopping for a leather coat at Harley...I finally got fed up with the whole thing and I took the advice of people on this forum and ordered a Joe Rocket women's Luna 2.0 textile jacket. :biggrin: