Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
Kenny007

These are all terrible stories to hear!

I hope that I can stay as cool minded as the lot of you if/when I have to deal with a fool like those listed above. Now I dont know whether I should continue efforts to get my concealed weapon permit, or put it off! Especially the story right above this post, I couldn't imagine how I'd react, as a gun wouldn't be enough to deter me (ex-infantry). However, with my current riding skill, I may not have made it away from the truck in the first place!

Man, these posts irritate me!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
davtnn

Try not to piss off an auto driver as they have more places to stash guns ...It is interesting to see the posts on this issue they seem to generate longer and more detailed answers .. so it can be surmised that we all seem to have war stories about near misses ... as one writer put it .. we are invisible with targets on our back (a non sequitar only to those that do not ride bikes)
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Badbob

Motorcycle vs Cage cage wins every time. Even getting mad can get you killed. It breaks your concentration and distracts you. Get over it and stay alive.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #14
LilNinja77

Quote:

I hope that I can stay as cool minded as the lot of you if/when I have to deal with a fool like those listed above. Now I dont know whether I should continue efforts to get my concealed weapon permit, or put it off! Especially the story right above this post, I couldn't imagine how I'd react, as a gun wouldn't be enough to deter me (ex-infantry). However, with my current riding skill, I may not have made it away from the truck in the first place!

If something like that might seriously make you use your concealed weapon, then no, don't get the permit. Nothing is more prone to make a bad situation worse than an angry person with a gun, especially if one person (you, or me, in the story) had their life endangered. The problem is that the cage driver who wants to give you a hard time, rarely grasp the real danger of the situation because they are detached from it sitting in their cage. Of course, out here if I wanted to let the cage drivers know not to piss me off I could just open-carry if I really wanted to, but that brings out a whole box of issues that aren't even worth discussing here.

As for the riding skill, I don't claim anything more than dumb luck got me through without dropping the bike, really that's all it came down to. At that time I had only been riding for a couple months so I'm both amazed and thankful that things turned out the way they did. Just keep your eyes and ears open and ride.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #15
Kenny007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
Quote:

If something like that might seriously make you use your concealed weapon, then no, don't get the permit. Nothing is more prone to make a bad situation worse than an angry person with a gun, especially if one person (you, or me, in the story) had their life endangered. The problem is that the cage driver who wants to give you a hard time, rarely grasp the real danger of the situation because they are detached from it sitting in their cage. Of course, out here if I wanted to let the cage drivers know not to piss me off I could just open-carry if I really wanted to, but that brings out a whole box of issues that aren't even worth discussing here.

As for the riding skill, I don't claim anything more than dumb luck got me through without dropping the bike, really that's all it came down to. At that time I had only been riding for a couple months so I'm both amazed and thankful that things turned out the way they did. Just keep your eyes and ears open and ride.
Ride safe
A shame open carry isnt allowed up here (as far as I know). A gun offers me a particular comfort, even if deep down I know I have the control not to use it unless needed (we're not ALL crazed gun nuts in the army). Nevertheless, the direct assault on my life would be a hard endeavor to look over, especially given that I'm currently still overcoming a natural fear of two wheeled risks....lol, my wife though, were she too get wind of such an event with myself as the starring role...may not be so analytical about the use of deadly force...lol.

Luckily, though I live in a bustling city, it's not large enough to host any severe traffic, and I've been blessed so far as to have had relatively competent cages to drive amongst...I can only hope my luck continues!

Best of luck in everyone's travels, and I hope these stories do not continue!