Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: 236 mile range, plus 17 on reserve for my GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Anybody carry spare gas on a trip?
There aren't many safe ways to do that. The best thing I have heard of is pressure tight, sealed containers of white gas, available at camping supply stores. IIRC, each one holds about 1/2 pint......so you carry 3 or 4......and you don't want to put too much of that gas with no additives in your engine anyway. Strictly for emergencies.
Alas, I can't remember the name right now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I knew I was really close to being a crispy critter. Really don't want to do that again.

Chris
Big, retired guy near Atlanta
And the "boys" don't like gasoline either. I really, REALLY don't want to do THAT again !!! :skull:

Does the big, retired guy from the woods north of Atlanta do NASCAR ?? I'm coming down for the race 3rd week of October.......sadly, not on my bike.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Has anybody actually torched themselves as described? I fill mine when not on the bike, mainly cause it's easier all around (we have the vapor control thingies and the business ends of the pumps at the Mobil are not exactly at arm's length.)

However, for two of my first three fillups, I spilled a lot of gas all over the damn thing. No fire, no explosion. I've gotten better since then (I think I've only been to the gas station like seven or eight times total so far) but I still think an overfill is possible. I pretty much do the Moedad method, but I if I don't get it up to the brim I could give a crap. I don't enjoy going to the gas station anymore than anyone else (in fact, I hadn't been to one in years... too bad my wife can't ride a bike) but an extra ten miles ain't gonna make that much difference given my current volume. I also don't think the bike runs as well on a near empty tank but that might be my imagination.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
Sarris

Wow, I really never considered it a safety issue. I've never leaked gas on the "boys" or set my bike on fire. It's not the minute additional volume of gas issue either. It's just convenient to remain on the bike.

I certainly didn't mean to propose that anyone do anything "unsafe".

:whistle: :skull: :whistle: :skull:
Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
music man

I have gotten gas on the boys, at work before and it is not cool at all. I have also sat on my bike and filled it up, and then one day I went on about a 70 mile trip from home and pulled up to a gas station and filled up sitting on the bike, went to put the gas nozzle up, and it happened to be one of those nozzles that doesnt shut off as quick as it should, so gas soaked my tank, I freaked, jumped off my hot ass bike(70 straight highway miles in summer) just happened to have a hand towel in my backpack for sweat, yanked it out, wiped all the gas up, luckily no fire, but in answer to Alan's question, no I haven't done it(set one on fire) but have seen lawnmower's catch on fire from the same thing, so yes its very possible.

I can see why people do it, especially with your card, don't have to take off your helmet or anything else, just pump and go. Ever since my little incident, I get off my bike and pump, with a few exceptions when i was still getting out of the habit of it.

Later

Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

The autoignition temperature for gasoline is 475 degrees F. If your engine is getting that hot you have a lot bigger problems than the gas igniting to worry about.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
The autoignition temperature for gasoline is 475 degrees F. If your engine is getting that hot you have a lot bigger problems than the gas igniting to worry about.
Not positive about this, mind you, but I think if you vaporize it and add some air, that temperature goes WAY down. Make a tiny spark and the temp. doesn't matter !! :skull:

And, yes, I have personal knowledge of several bike fires caused by splashed gas igniting during fueling. You see LOTS of things over 40 years of riding. None recently, maybe because water cooled bikes don't get the heads as hot. I have "heard" of nasty burns and totaled bikes but have no evidence of that really happening.

Thankfully only one of those resulted in rider burns and it was only his hands.......because none of the riders were on their bikes when it happened........and none resulted in total destruction of the bikes either as none of them tipped over in the process.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
rusty rider

I haven't seen a motorcycle ignite, but I have seen a fire on a tractor that my Dad was filling up when I was a kid. It probably wouldn't happen on a motorcycle, but I personally wouldn't take the chance. If it did you would be screwed, never screw again.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
music man

Hey Primal anytime you want to test that theory, I will be more than happy to put gas on your exhaust for ya while you sit on it. :crash: No seriously it can happen, especially if it gets directly on the headers, Regardless of what the "autoignition temp" of gasoline is.

And I was just joking about setting you on fire and all. :neener: :twisted:
Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
Chris

If anyone is going to spill gas over the hot engine please let me know first so I can get my video on TV. Make out your will beforehand.

I never got an answer to my question: if you completely fill it with the bike on the stand (leaning) then how much more gas would go in if it were straight up???
If you fill it straight up and then put it on the stand dosen't the gas leak out! Seems like it would take a lot of riding to get the gas level down to the "leaning" point. Might be useful on a trip, but under normal circumstances it seems dangerous to me.
Guys as good looking as us need to be careful.

Chris
Big, old, retired guy near Atlanta
This is my 12th bike. One major wreck (my fault) 35 years ago.
I don't do NASCAR