Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist
Re: Uneven power when starting and from 35-45mph

Update on the problem; I haven't had a chance to do any work, but I took it for a quick spin yesterday to see if I could be a little more specific about the symptoms.

It revs and then loses power at idle, 1st, and 2nd. It seems particularly bad until the bike has had 10 minutes or so to warm up, and then it still happens occasionally. Basically, I twist the throttle, it starts to rev, and then goes back to idle and sounds like it's going to stall. Then, if I keep the throttle twisted, there's a chance it will either stall or, if I'm lucky, catch again and start revving. If it stalls, it starts right back up again, no problem.

I'm going to try as many of the above recommendations as I'm able to figure out & am comfortable doing on my own this weekend. If anyone has any other suggestions or diagnoses in the meantime, please let me know!

And thanks for all the info so far. You guys/gals are right; this is a comfortable forum!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
bonehead

It really sounds to me like you have a valve adj. problem. Have you checked the adj or do you know when it was done last?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXorcist
Basically, I twist the throttle, it starts to rev, and then goes back to idle and sounds like it's going to stall. Then, if I keep the throttle twisted, there's a chance it will either stall or, if I'm lucky, catch again and start revving.
That sounds a LOT like what happens if you try to run it without an air cleaner element in place.........SO I think it is likely that you have too much air/not enough fuel going through the carb. That's the easy part; not to figure out WHY !! :biggrin:

Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

The combo of a holed exhaust and no air filter(?) will play havoc with any fuel delivery to the cylinder. As mentioned, check for an air filter. A new filter and a properly intact exhaust may be the answer to the running conditions. I would suggest not tearing the carb apart until the other 2 things are dealt with. Use the KISS principle.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
VTXorcist

UPDATE:

You know that crack in my pipe? Well, I finally got the new pipe in the mail today and went to replace it just now. I removed the rear support bolt that holds the megaphone in place... and it fell off! The dang thing was cracked clean through. I'll let you know this weekend if it helps at all, once I've had a chance to take it out for a bit.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
VTXorcist

Oh and I replaced my spark plug and checked the air filter; it looks good and I cleaned it with compressed air per the service manual.