Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 08-30-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
GZ surfn

Send a message via Yahoo to GZ surfn
Replace flat back tire

Help! Help
Just got a flat on my back tire. New to bikes. I think I know what to do , except how to jack the bike up!. Feel lame saying that but I am not sure where to lift with a jack. That and any other main pointers would be much appreciated. Bought the bike used but only has 700 mi. Dont want to cause damage or more trouble.
Much abliged.
Still trying to get a pic on this site and become sponsor. Will keep at it.
Looking forward to that 16 tooth sprocket in the future. hope to help others

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Badbob

I use a small floor jack with a shop towel for padding. Put it under the right side of the frame and jack it up until the wheel is off the ground. It forms a tripod between the front wheel, side stand and the jack.

Located elsewhere in this forum are some home built jack stands.

For wheel removal see the service manual also located else where in the forum.

Google for tire repair. Their is more info than you'll read.

Dan's Motorcycle Tires and Tubes is a good practical place to start.

Your going got need some tools, a new tire, and a tube. The general consensus is that you should consider and repair to a motorcycle tire temporary and replace the tire and tube ASAP. On a motorcycle your life depends on your tire so I find this hard to argue with.

If you have never changed a tire get ready to work up a good sweat. I do all my tires myself.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
If you have never changed a tire get ready to work up a good sweat. I do all my tires myself.
Few people have your combination of mechanical ability and sheer guts ! :roll:

I've done it before but never again.

In addition to sweat, one should expect a lot of cussing, skinned knuckles and probably at least one ruined tube.........which you will notice BEFORE you get it all back together, if you are lucky.

If I understand your "jack triangle" method correctly, it's the same thing I do to oil the chain. I do not, however, think that is stable enough for anything more complicated that chain oiling or brake adjustment. Are you really saying that you recommend to others that this is appropriate blocking to change a rear tire? :??:

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Wrap a bungie or a strip of velcro around the front brake lever. Good way to help prevent the bike rolling. Be very careful cause even a smaller bike is heavy when you are pinned under it.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Duh............I guess this would only work if you are dealing with the rear end of the bike.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
If I understand your "jack triangle" method correctly, it's the same thing I do to oil the chain. I do not, however, think that is stable enough for anything more complicated that chain oiling or brake adjustment. Are you really saying that you recommend to others that this is appropriate blocking to change a rear tire? :??:
Not recommending it. Just saying it can be done.

I have a motor cycle jack that I use. Not because its more stable but because I can get the the bike up to a more comfortable angle/height to work on it.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

And I just spent all afternoon crawling around on the floor doing oil changes.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
rbert16000

Send a message via AIM to rbert16000
Damn!

401 miles and found my rear tire flat this morning.... Damn! of all of the bikes I have had, and all of the years driving, this is my first flat.!

So I want to take the bike in to have the tire changed/repaired... Wish I had a motorcycle jack... any ideas what type I can get for this?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
adrianinflorida

Re: Replace flat back tire

Finally got around to putting the new rear tire on today, now that I've got that out of the way, not looking forward to the next time.

Seriously, not at all complex., just a nasty job. I did get to clean the chain thouroughly and lubed it, checked rear brakes, went ahead and replaced rear wheel bearings and took the black plastic mudflap/lower fender to repaint it black since it was faded. Time for a ride.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
alantf

Re: Replace flat back tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ surfn
I am not sure where to lift with a jack.
I've noticed that under the bike there's a sort of metal plate with 2 holes in it. It looks to me as though it was placed there for a centre stand. Can anyone say if this is correct? If it is, has anyone seen an aftermarket centre stand, or can anyone suggest what it might be for? I'm mentioning this because it seems that a centre stand would raise the back wheel off the ground, or alternately, would this be a good jacking point? I'm thinking along the lines of adapting the top of the jack with a couple of pegs to fit the 2 holes, to keep the jack steady. I'd really appreciate any input on this before I try it.