Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
ecr959

Hyperlite LED taillight kit

Hello everybody. Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I searched first, couldn't find enough info.
I found a post that started this topic but then it went in a different direction. I wanna see a pic or read a detailed post from anybody that bought this kit. I think I would buy it, or a similar product from some other company.

Can these LEDs really illuminate more than the factory Suzuki taillight ? If so, I like that they do. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, I have soldered printer cables and components on logic boards (years before SMT boards )

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hyperlite LED taillight kit

Oh, I know the answer to this one. Don't move away from the computer till you Goggle HyperLights. These things will knock your socks off...........really they will. One of the must have items on Lynda's wish list for the "M". Lynda's bike came with a factory LED tail light but it really pales in comparison to the HP lights.

Time lapse

Just scurried down for some pics of the M. Done and loaded now. Ah where was I ? Oh yeah, think I got the HP lights from CaliforniaSportTouring. That's a maybe. Maybe Custom Cruisers.
The lights are set up to flash 5 times before staying on when you hit the brakes. Very attention getting items. Easy wiring with a complete set of directions and all the needed connectors. Posi-Lock connectors actually and they require no tools to fool with.
I just realized you may just want to have an LED bulb in the stock tail light. Most aftermarket LEDs that replace regular bulbs leave a lot to be desired. Tried em and tossed em. Regular bulbs light up the entire tail light lense but LED bulbs just point straight out in a small area.
Just for general knowledge to everyone here. When you put a LED bulb in place of a regular bulb you should have the LED bulb match the color of the lense.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
ecr959

Thank you, WW. Those pictures convinced me. LED is the way to go if you want BRIGHT illumination. I only want the brake light. I don't think $60 is too much for personal safety. Its a good investment. Let me see what I can do in a few weeks.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

You will like them. The beauty of this set-up is the self contained flasher unit and ease of install. Really quite slick.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Jewood20

Which one did you buy for you GZ250?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
I've watched as many in the boating world have gone ga-ga over LEDs. On boats, they replace a 30 dollar fixture and 3 dollar bulb with a 200 dollar fixture and bulb.

Regardless of how bright they are have you verified that they are DOT approved?
On a boat if your battery dies you don't just walk home. LED lighting reduces usage by a large margin. If you are at anchor for the night you need your all around light on all night plus you'll usually have your deck lights and cabin lights on while you are awake. The fixtures must be USCG approved which triples the cost (anything marine is high priced). It's hard to be seen on the water so the brighter the better. There is no corrosion to worry about with the LED fixture and they outlast incadescent bulbs by a wide margin. Ga-ga? No. Functionality? Yes.

Most LED lighting for motorcycles are NOT DOT approved. But I'd rather receive a ticket (highly unlikely) and be seen than comply and have someone hit me.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

If you want DOT approved LED brake lights just use the red LED units from a police car. That would make you legal and noticeable. Most LEOs appreciate the fact that you are trying to stay alive and healthy with better lighting. And that includes the LEOs I have ridden with regularly
Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Gz Rider

Old 09-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
Gz Rider