Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
varangianknight

nodding to other bikers is FUN!

Just started riding three months ago after a twenty year hiatus. The one thing that i was reminded of on the first day i rode, it was a long one, was that bikers nod to each other. Dont know if you guys in the states do it, but here in Oz EVERY biker you pass, you nod... they nod back ( or vice versa) I had completely forgotten about this and to have it happen on the first day i rode and be, well, welcomed into the club was an amazing feeling. I kind of knew straight away that if i broke down and was standing at the side of the road shaking my fist at the bike in frustration that a fellow biker would have at least stopped and TRIED to help (Ive done the same thing and been ZERO actual help as i know nothing, but i had to at least ask and try!)
Wether youre a bearded, rough as guts hells angel, or a lawyer on a ninja, youre a biker and we help each other, thats what that one nod means to me and its fantastic. So, thanks to all my fellow motorcyclists and keep on truckin...oops!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: nodding to other bikers is FUN!

It's all one big club. I nod more now instead of waving but that is my choice at present. Stopping for another rider who is stranded is just good manners and judgement. One person alone in the middle of nowhere may be a threat in some cases but likely as not he/she may be your next best friend.
Last Sept Lynda(my SO)took a ride half way across Canada to see her brother. This was her 2nd trip there on a bike and was riding alone this time. She met a lot of wonderful folks whenever she just stopped for a break, gas or pics of scenery. The one time she stopped to make a windshield adjustment a fellow in a pick-up stopped to make sure she was alright. When he was sure things were done and Lynda was okay he left in the other direction. Had to have been another rider.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
PimpS

Yeah, i'm not riding yet, but I already found new friends and even friends-bikers that I knew before i got myself a bike, i see them in another light. It was never hard for them to answer my (silly) questions, now they are really interested in my bike, gear, i even got 2 phone calls on friday to join them with the bike, but i couldn't (need to change oil, filters,... and get driving plates, insurance...).
It's a good feeling indeed, Varangianknight: I'll propably feel like i was on the heavy metal concert after my first day of riding, cause my neck will hurt of nodding propably to everyone i know, not just fellowriders...

Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpS
Yeah, i'm not riding yet, but I already found new friends and even friends-bikers that I knew before i got myself a bike, i see them in another light. It was never hard for them to answer my (silly) questions, now they are really interested in my bike, gear, i even got 2 phone calls on friday to join them with the bike, but i couldn't (need to change oil, filters,... and get driving plates, insurance...).
It's a good feeling indeed, Varangianknight: I'll propably feel like i was on the heavy metal concert after my first day of riding, cause my neck will hurt of nodding propably to everyone i know, not just fellowriders...
Wow, you sound ready to go. You will have fun and come home grinning from ear to ear.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
PimpS

Quote:
Wow, you sound ready to go. You will have fun and come home grinning from ear to ear.
Yup! But i also feel the need to be carefull (maybe too much) but i'll know that when i take that first solo cruise...

Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
PimpS

I know my butt will hurt....
Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
LatoniaBarry

Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
alantf

Oh sheeeeeeeet! The spammers are coming out of the cracks in the pavement (sidewalk, to you Americans) now.