Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Miklo

Newbie Questions

So I picked up my bike yesterday, and put a good 50 miles on the road before I went home for the night. Overall, very nice. I know some of these questions have been asked before, but when crusing at higher speeds, I had trouble getting to 70mph. The posted limit was 65mph so I was good. I take it that this is normal? Secondly, as far as shifting speeds, I am pretty much good. However I did read in another posting that riding at 65mph in fourth gear was acceptable. Is that correct? I can see downshifting to pick up more speed or for an incline, but for crusing? Also the kill switch, should this just be left on at all times, or should I use it for normal operations. I thought it was for emergency use?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Newbe Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklo
So I picked up my bike yesterday, and put a good 50 miles on the road before I went home for the night. Overall, very nice. I know some of these questions have been asked before, but when crusing at higher speeds, I had trouble getting to 70mph. The posted limit was 65mph so I was good. I take it that this is normal? Secondly, as far as shifting speeds, I am pretty much good. However I did read in another posting that riding at 65mph in fourth gear was acceptable. Is that correct? I can see downshifting to pick up more speed or for an incline, but for crusing? Also the kill switch, should this just be left on at all times, or should I use it for normal operations. I thought it was for emergency use?
60 to 65 is the comfort zone.4th would be fine for passing or a hill,I would no want to stay there very long as you are getting close to redline.I never use the "kill switch" to shut the bike off.You can forget to shut your key off and kill the battery.I see people doing this all the time:shut the kill switch off while coasting to a stop,and sit there talking with the key on.
:cool:

Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
mrlmd1

65 for most of these bikes is a good cruising speed, 70 may be pushing it a little if you expect to maintain that speed and it all depends on your weight, wind, etc.
65 in 4th gear is over-revving the engine and should be used for maintaining speed up an incline if you need it, not for long term riding at that speed. The bike has just so much horsepower and you don't get any extra over-revving the engine, just more wear and tear on it.
Some people use the kill switch to turn off the engine, others use the key - your choice. Just make sure it's in the Run position if you want to start the bike.,

Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklo
Running at 65 in forth is not really a good idea. Any sustained speed like that in forth is very near redline for the engine and it will suffer with prolonged high rpm. If 5th won't pull you along at 65 then you may want to slow down a bit and run in 4th.
You will soon realize the GZ is happiest at 60/65(5th gear) on a good flat surface. Headwinds and any slight grade will slow it down noticeably. The GZ is what it is. Don't expect great amounts of power or speed because it was not built with that in mind. Learn to appreciate the bike for it's ability to haul you around reliably at reasonable speeds. Develop your skills and gain experience with the bike. If in a season you want to venture out onto freeways you will want a bigger bike to ride. Stay off freeways with the GZ as much as possible, 2 lane highways are a bit slower and more to it's liking. You have a great first bike that won't let you down with proper care and riding.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Miklo

thanks for the response

Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
greatmaul

I always keep the kill switch on, but it's up to you. I also find that 65mph is pretty much my max speed, in 4th, and 55-60 in 5th, unless I get behind a big rig (I don't mind the buffetting. You get used to it and it really doesn't hurt anything.) and then I can cruise at 65-70 in 5th gear.

Once I'm in a wind free area, like surrounded by tall buildings, or if there's a tail wind, I can also cruise 65-75 in 5th gear.

Since I spend so much time on the freeway, I'm almost always searching for a big truck to follow.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
I get behind a big rig (I don't mind the buffetting. You get used to it and it really doesn't hurt anything.) and then I can cruise at 65-70 in 5th gear.

Once I'm in a wind free area, like surrounded by tall buildings, or if there's a tail wind, I can also cruise 65-75 in 5th gear.

Since I spend so much time on the freeway, I'm almost always searching for a big truck to follow.
I've stated this before and I'll state it again.NOT a good idea.If your following close to a big rig & the recap comes off a tire (it happens all the time) you will not have any time to avoid disaster.I don't like following them even in my cage.Any amount of time along side them is a bad idea also.
:cool:

Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
mrlmd1

You'll also never see the 2X4 or other debris laying in the roadway the truck went over or comes flying into your face. You need to keep 100' or more behind a big rig on the road - at least 2-3 secs. away.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Never never never follow a big rig. As stated above, a recap is really bad when it lets go and those chunks of rubber are heavy and travelling with a tremendous amount of destructive force behind them. I've seen what happens when chunks hit the front of a pickup and a bike rider will suffer far more.
Another good reason to avoid big rigs is the fact that when their wheels straddle a road kill critter you are right there to take the hit. It all happens too fast to trust your instincts and reaction time.
Your field of vision is so impaired you are effectively blind to anything except the big rig in front of you. Drafting a vehicle is best left to a race track and a controlled environment. Our hiways and biways are not the place to draft.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
mole2

Re: Newbie Questions

As far as the kill switch - they teach you in the MSF BRC to use it to turn the bike off and then the key. That is the way I do it most of the times. Sometimes I'll put the kickstand down in gear (when stopped) and then I'll turn the kill switch off and the key off.

Another thing with the big rigs is they have air brakes. They will stop quite fast and before you know it you're in the back of them like a bug on a windshield.