Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Badbob

County Maps

County maps, as far as I can tell, are maintained buy the Department Of Trasportation (DOT) in each respective state. If you want details this is where you look. Want to know if that back road is paved or not. This is where you look.

Georgia County Maps are free. This is their ftp server where you can download the maps of each county as a separate PDF file. I can't print these on my big laser printer

Florida maps you have to pay for. But they are cheap. Less than $1.00 each or $24.00 for an entire set. Unfortunately, even though they say you can order the maps and give prices. I can't find where to order them. Since I live in the capitol I can probably just go pick them up. If I can just figure out where.

Alabama's DOT county maps are expensive by comparison. As much $2.80 each depending on what you order. If need maps for the whole state its going to cost you. The ordering process is cumbersome and done on paper. A printable order form is available at the link.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Badbob

DeLorme Atlas And Gazetteer

These are books that cost $20 each. You should be able get one for your state at WalMart. I live 20 miles from the state line and had to go to a WalMart in Georgia to get one of these for Georgia. The Georgia WalMart carried maps for Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Anyway these are great maps so long as you are staying on numbered highways. Back roads are on the maps but are missing details such as are the roads paved. When crossing county and state lines on a back road the pavement can end at the line. These maps do not indicate this.

Don't get me wrong these are great maps. I use these and Google to plan rides. On the down side they are expensive. At $20 per map if you need to plan a trip across 10 states maps are going to cost you $200. They are also big. I haven't yet figured out how to carry one of these on a bike and keep it dry much less 10 of the.

All these are the best paper maps I have found that you can purchase retail.

Also note that these maps have latitude and longitude info on them and match GPS grids. If you have a GPS this may be important to you. I don't have a GPS. :sad: