Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
RamAir

Engine cooler IDEA! :popcorn:

Hello all :biggrin: Most of you might not know me and some of you do, well since I will be getting a new motor next summer I was thinking I know someone on here was trying to figure out where to get the return feed for an oil cooler for our bikes and since, wellll :whistle: I have a spare motor (kinda) I was thinking if I could get all the info we know or that the guy figued out (although I cant find the link now ) I could try it on the motor that I am going to be replaceing! Just gotta buttom up the top end and she will run. She'll be crying but she will run! No the problem that I have with this is that the motors cam gears are already totally rubbed out so how will I know if its doing any damage! So if anyone can figure out a good test I dont mind rigging up my old motor to hoses and pipes to see how it flows oil! :2tup:

What you guys think will this work? Do you guys get what I am proposing?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Engine cooler IDEA! :popcorn:

Nope. But then, I wouldn't. It does sound vaguely like The Quest For a Little More Power... but I'm just guessing.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir
Hello all :biggrin:
I understand what you are proposing.It would be hard to achieve with no passage for a return oil hose.Also I don't think the oil pump would stand the extra strain.If your main concern is the oil getting too hot in summer traffic,try synthetic oil.Because of reduced friction synthetic oil will run 30 to 50 degrees cooler in hot weather.Plus it flows much better in cooler temperature to guard against dry starts.I always used synthetic oil,and when I sold my G.Z. it had almost 46000 kms on it,mostly hard hi-way miles and it still ran like new.
:2tup: :cool:

Old 11-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
music man

Quote:
Hello all :biggrin: Most of you might not know me and some of you do, well since I will be getting a new motor next summer I was thinking I know someone on here was trying to figure out where to get the return feed for an oil cooler for our bikes and since, wellll :whistle: I have a spare motor (kinda) I was thinking if I could get all the info we know or that the guy figued out (although I cant find the link now ) I could try it on the motor that I am going to be replaceing! Just gotta buttom up the top end and she will run. She'll be crying but she will run! No the problem that I have with this is that the motors cam gears are already totally rubbed out so how will I know if its doing any damage! So if anyone can figure out a good test I dont mind rigging up my old motor to hoses and pipes to see how it flows oil! :2tup:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2119&hilit=oil+cooler Here ya go, this will be a very good starting point for your research, good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
RamAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Hello all :biggrin:
I understand what you are proposing.It would be hard to achieve with no passage for a return oil hose.Also I don't think the oil pump would stand the extra strain.If your main concern is the oil getting too hot in summer traffic,try synthetic oil.Because of reduced friction synthetic oil will run 30 to 50 degrees cooler in hot weather.Plus it flows much better in cooler temperature to guard against dry starts.I always used synthetic oil,and when I sold my G.Z. it had almost 46000 kms on it,mostly hard hi-way miles and it still ran like new.
:2tup: :cool:

I only use the best K&N oil filter and rolay purple motor oil! Its not that I know that people on here have been tryiong this and since this motor is junk anyway I dont mind screwing into the motor for a return line and seeing how it goes, do you get me now? Sorry I dont get my points acrsos the way I want to sometimes!

Thanks Music man!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
RamAir

Plane and simple what I am saying is that I do not mind drilling holes in my motor to see where the best return would be! So we can find it out if it would work! Since my old motor is junk anywho! Ill post up any info if I get some progress on this! It will not be till the weather piks up next year though since its very cold now and I dont have anywere to work indoors!

Thanks guys!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
JWR

The DR 200 has been able to use an oil cooler. You can search or I will try to find a link.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
RamAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
The DR 200 has been able to use an oil cooler. You can search or I will try to find a link.
Lets do both! :2tup:

I will look up what I can and let me know what you find! I just dont want another motor to go to waiste if I can learn something from my old one then why not!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
RamAir

OK I found this would this work???

http://img525.imageshack.us/i/enoilcooler.jpg/

Any ideas?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
blaine

Looks good.I don't see any reason for it not to work on the G.Z . :cool: :2tup: