Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
daddylaci

Re: Short ride through Budapest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb
Nice looking place!

I wonder how did you put the Temp. guage on the bike?
Is it glued on the surface of block?
Or, is there a hole that fits temperature guage, and stick in some sensor?
If actual engine oil itself temperature is 80 something degree....
it may be little colder than I expected? (don't know proper temp. might be)

Anyway, thanks for the pictures. :roll:
I also had witnessed couple of bike accidents during the my weekend ridings.
But, I don't report those in the report here.
Don't know why...
The temp guage is fit with a hole with thread, which is originally made for a cover cap. You can fill up the engine oil through that hole. You can see on the bike. The installation is very simple: unscrew the cap, screw in the gauge. That's all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #12
alanmcorcoran

I have owned about three or four different models of this type of computer on my bicycles. I have two mounted on bikes in the garage as we speak. A couple of observations:

1) I have had the same experience as daddylaci re accuracy. You set them to where you think they should be, make small adustments, and, on my bicycles anyway, they are soon very accurate (to the .10 of a mile over 50 miles, say.)
2) Most of them use a wire (some are wireless) and read a magnet going by on the wheel spoke. One more thing to deal with. You need to set them up and wrap them right so they aren't too loose but still allow the handlebar to move. Not a big deal really, but it's one more wire.
3) Most run on batteries (there are "solar" ones - I've never tried those.) The better ones automatically shutdown completely when not in use. Otherwise, you are feeding it little round camera batteries pretty regularly.
4) We typically take ours OFF the bike at stops and put 'em in our pocket. Even thought they only cost $29-$89 and are useless without the matching mount, people will steal them. Sigh.
5) They wear out - the LCD's can get scratched and fade from the sun, the wires fray, the magnet thing loosens and can fall off.
6) The mounts sometime don't tolerate weather (read: wet) well. The contacts rust - you can clean them up, but if you sand them too much, they can lose contact and then your readings go screwy.

I guess the temperature thing is interesting (never had that) but, I would never use one of these to replace the standard speed or distance unless my Suzi speedometer/odometer was hopelessly hosed.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
mr. softie

Thanks for posting photos and a ride report daddylaci. I noticed even the chain link fence is ornate and done in an aesthetic way. That is something you don't see here. I would like to tour Europe again one day. I took a 5 month motorcycle tour there way back in 1971 but entry into the Eastern Block was not in the cards. I did meet some traveling groups of young people from Hungary, and they seemed to be happy and enthusiastic. Would love to visit Budapest as well as Prague and other historic and beautiful cities over there in the east, not so much as a tourist but as a motorcyclist "passing through".

As for pics of motorcycle accidents there are lots of websites where a person could see all that if they were inclined. A good reminder to ride safely perhaps but disquieting nonetheless.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #14
daddylaci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Thanks for posting photos and a ride report daddylaci. I noticed even the chain link fence is ornate and done in an aesthetic way. That is something you don't see here. I would like to tour Europe again one day. I took a 5 month motorcycle tour there way back in 1971 but entry into the Eastern Block was not in the cards. I did meet some traveling groups of young people from Hungary, and they seemed to be happy and enthusiastic. Would love to visit Budapest as well as Prague and other historic and beautiful cities over there in the east, not so much as a tourist but as a motorcyclist "passing through".

As for pics of motorcycle accidents there are lots of websites where a person could see all that if they were inclined. A good reminder to ride safely perhaps but disquieting nonetheless.
Take a motorcycle tour from US to Europe is a nice ambition. Nowadays you can come to Hungary freely, as I can go to US. By the way, I visited US 3 times in 2000 and 2001 in business trip. That would be great if you are in Hungary we could meet, if you want. Just mail me if you plan your tour to Europe and we can arrange a meeting in Budapest.