Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #71
Meme

Re: Start-up Problem

After you verify that the spark plug is firing, I would try using some starter fluid in the air cleaner, as I suggested before. I really think it is a carb problem. The start circuit in the carb on these clogs up pretty easily. Spraying some starter fluid in it will give it something to fire up, even if the carb is plugged up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #72
bjrscj

I took the spark plug out and it was damp. Considering it's been a few days since I tried to start the bike, I thought that was a little odd. Maybe not.

I got a replacement spark plug just to make sure, tested the spark, and it was fine. I tried to fire up the bike, and it just revved but did not ignite. I still hear that clicking noise on the right side of the bike, but maybe that's always been there and I just never noticed it.

I did not get starter fluid into the carb yet, so perhaps I'll do that tomorrow. I still have carb cleaner, so should I just take the carb apart and clean it out good? I've done it before, and know how to do it, although I'd rather not if you don't think it would make a difference. I look forward to hearing more advice, and I'll let you know how the starter fluid works.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #73
mrlmd1

If the plug was damp, you flooded the engine. That damp = gas.

Just check your battery voltage one more time and let me know what it is. And let me know what it is when you crank over the starter.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #74
blaine

Now that we have determined that the engine is flooded.Spin it over a few times with the spark plug out.This will dry out the combustion chamber.When you try to start the engine,hold the throttle open about a 1/3 of the way,no choke.
:2tup:

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #75
bjrscj

I'm not sure if I'll get to that tomorrow. But I will try to start the engine with the plug out. However, I assume I'm starting this with the petcock in the normal position, not the prime, right? Or do I disconnect the fuel line and vacuum line altogether?

As far as battery voltage, after I charged the new battery, it registered 12.7. I'm recharging it now to ensure it'll work fine when I crank it next. As far as the voltage when I crank it, do you want to know what the charge is as I crank, I assume? Or were you wondering what the voltage is afterwards, to see if it lost any charge?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #76
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj
I'm not sure if I'll get to that tomorrow. But I will try to start the engine with the plug out. However, I assume I'm starting this with the petcock in the normal position, not the prime, right? Or do I disconnect the fuel line and vacuum line altogether?
Just leave the petcock in the "run position.Turn the engine over a few times with the plug out,to dry the engine.Than install the plug & try to start.
:cool:

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #77
mrlmd1

I'm trying to see what the voltage drops to as you crank over the engine, preferably with the plug in after you dry out the cylinder. That's like a load test on the battery. The starter draws about 80amps when it's cranking over the engine and I am interested in the battery voltage when you do this for 5 sec or so. And then see what the voltage drops to when you are done doing that. I am trying to see the health status of your battery.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #78
Gz Rider

Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #79
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj
Just leave the petcock in the "run position.Turn the engine over a few times with the plug out,to dry the engine.Than install the plug & try to start.
If there's still gas in the carb, won't it be drawn into the cyl and keep things wet? Maybe drain the carb bowl and temperarily disconnect the vacuum line?
Not if the engine and plug are dry.Got to have some fuel for the engine to fire & run.Also didn't want to give him to many directions & confuse him.I think that's what happened at the first of this thread ( 4 pages ago).

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #80
Gz Rider