Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #31
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG View Post

EDIT: Just a tip to all the geniuses like me out there, REMEMBER TO RECONNECT THE VACUUM LINE TO THE FUEL PETCOCK. Problem solved
Hahahah. Awesome. Glad you got it sorted.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #32
golem

"turn the crankshaft until the “T” mark aligns with the arrow on the generator cover"
Can someone point at the "t" mark and the "arrow on the generator cover', please?
newbie trying to do some valve adjustement here and I'm having a hard time seeing those..Thank you
Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 AM   #33
gz4me +

I do not have a picture to show, but I will attempt to direct you. Standing on the left side of the bike, looking down at the generator cover, look just above the inspection bolt on the cover. Some times it is hard to see because of dirt, corrosion,etc. The mark is more of a triangle shape than an arrow. I hope this helps you. If not, please let me know and I will try to find a picture for you.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #34
itsagz250butitsmine

WTF

I just did mine, closed everything up, fired it up and the exhaust sounded like shaking pennies in a tin can, so I soon came to realize that my adjustments were way off and too loose. I just re-did them pulling them closer to the smaller size of the spectrum which yielded great but such different results. The changes that I've noticed immediately are that I can now reach 65mph in 4th gear and shifting up doesn't really add speed but more maintains it as opposed to getting up to 50mph and shifting up to get to a consistent 65 unless I had the help of a hill. My cold starts now use very little choke for a minute and then it is able to run with the choke open as opposed to having to keep the choke half on and decreasing it slowly for about 5 min for consistent idle before the adjustment. Now I also do not get a backfire after shutting a hot engine, unlike before when it would happen every time. Also I ordered the 16t sprocket before all of this and am now wondering if 5th gear will be completely useless, but I'm ok with that as long as 4th can get me to 65mph at least. Anyway, thoughts or comments about any of the above?
Old 08-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #35
Vegas Street Rider

I am concerned about your lack of power in fifth gear. I have a '09' GZ and on the flat I am able to reach 75 to 80mph with the 16 tooth sprocket. What are your gap measurements on the intake and exhaust valves? Also, have you checked your carburetor for build up?

Old 08-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #36
itsagz250butitsmine

I can't tell you "exact measurements" but I took the feeler gauge that was the midrange for both intake and exhaust and made it so that it had a decent pull to get it out for all 4 valves, rotated it twice, checked re-adjusted, rotated, checked and closed it up. It was a struggle to get the same feeler gauge back in after tightening the locknut, but the minimum size tolerance would go in with some finesse so I know atleast it's in the range, closer to the smaller side. Like I said I noticed the difference just in the noise from the first failed attempt. Oh btw, I punctured the inspection plug so for now I plugged it with some plumbers epoxy, but need to find one asap. I've been trying to perform maintenance type of jobs on this bike as I can and I haven't looked into the carb just yet. Gotta see if theres a sticky for that on the forum. Also I didn't mention that I am 6'1 with no windshield so there is a decent amount of wind drag against my torso, which could also diminish the amount of torque that 5th gear has.

Last edited by itsagz250butitsmine; 08-21-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #37
Vegas Street Rider

Thumbs Up

Your intake valves should be about .002 and your exhaust valves at .004. I am 6'0 and 170 lbs. with no windshield. You might want to add some Seafoam to your fuel tank. It will help clean out your fuel system. It will take a couple tank fulls to get a good start. That may help clean out some of the crud.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #38
itsagz250butitsmine

I've followed the shop manual, so I set the clearances within range. I put about 2-3 sea foam tank treatments already and plan to kill off the bottle and see if that got me anywhere in the next few tanks. I need to check the spark plug gap too just in case, or just replace it. However, I just got my 16t sprocket today, so we'll see how it likes the next size, fingers crossed.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #39
wacio

Do you guys know which direction the engine should be turned. Its not mentioned anywhere - even in the service manual. Some engines are very finicky about not turning it in wrong direction - possibly not case here but still - I'd like to know if engine turns clockwise or counter (looking from generator side - left side). Thank you.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #40
Water Warrior 2

Get the rear wheel off the ground and slowly turn it while in gear. Observe the rotation of the marks etc. That should work well enough to continue with the valve adjust.