Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #31
5th_bike

Right on, when filling and you look down and you stop when the gas touches the bottom of the rim around the fuel cap, it's full.

BTW I never put anything in the gas, and it always runs, even when unused for a couple weeks. But I do try and run it with no more than three weeks in between. Recently it sat unused for more than a month, and it still worked fine. I do believe though that when you don't use it for say three or four months, your carb wil gunk up. But not in two or three weeks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by 5th_bike; 04-17-2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2014, 11:40 PM   #32
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
Right on, when filling and you look down and you stop when the gas touches the bottom of the rim around the fuel cap, it's full.

BTW I never put anything in the gas, and it always runs, even when unused for a couple weeks. But I do try and run it with no more than three weeks in between. Recently it sat unused for more than a month, and it still worked fine. I do believe though that when you don't use it for say three or four months, your carb wil gunk up. But not in two or three weeks.
Ethanol gas can go into phase separation in as little as a month. That's the best reason to put Stabil in your fuel. Couple with that the fact that Stabil cleans your fuel system and it's a win - win situation.

Short story. I owned a 2005 Trophy Walkaround boat. I always filled my boats 85 gallon gas tank at the end of the season when I winterized it. I always put the correct amount of Stabil in the gas. This would be in September (when I was living in NY). In 2007 I hurt my back badly. I commissioned the boat in Spring and tried to take it out but the pounding hurt really bad. I immediately re-winterized it as I knew I would not be able to use it that year. The following year, 2008, I commissioned the boat in Spring and all was well with my back. That boat started right up with the almost two year old gas. Everything I own other than my daily driver truck gets Stabil.

Last edited by mole2; 04-17-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #33
gstam4

update: after riding a little today, i parked the bike and adjusted the screws for the left foot pedal, which were loose. while down in that direction, i smelled a pretty strong smell of gas. opened the airbox and it was still dry, but then noticed that the pictured part of the petcock was wet with gas on the outside. (hopefully the pictures show where it was wet; when i touched my finger to it, the tip of my finger was soaked.)

so for whatever the dealer did earlier this week (opening the carb and apparently adjusting/fixing the flow needle), it seems i now/still have a petcock issue. (back in february when i first noticed a leak, i think they looked at the petcock.) anyone know what the problem might be, and what i should do next? i don't think the dealer is open again until tuesday. someone shoot me.

thanks again to all.

Last edited by gstam4; 04-19-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #34
mole2

There should be a hose clamp on that fuel line. Gas might be leaking out from around the loose fit.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #35
gstam4

dumb question: you mean 'should be' in the sense that there isn't, but i should get one, right? is that something i could find at any hardware store?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #36
gstam4

i just took another picture. the whole cylinder-shaped piece at the bottom of the petcock (which has a drop of gas at the bottom, which you might be able to see) seems to be wet. is it possible that the gas is leaking down from the petcock (at the arrow), instead of where the petcock meets the clear tube? if so, does that mean i probably need a new petcock? (i doubt i have the skills to take it apart and repair it myself.)

Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #37
blaine

If it's leaking from the arrow make sure that the two screws are tight (by "pri")

Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #38
gstam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
If it's leaking from the arrow make sure that the two screws are tight (by "pri")
tight as can be. still a slow drip that seems to be coming down from the petcock, a few hours since I rode last.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #39
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstam4 View Post
tight as can be. still a slow drip that seems to be coming down from the petcock, a few hours since I rode last.
Ok see if you can determine if the fuel is leaking from between the tank & petcock.There is a rubber o-ring between the two.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #40
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstam4 View Post
On Mole2's picture you can see that there are five screws on the other side of the petcock that also may need a check for tightness.
You can probably most easily access those by just taking the tank off.

Last edited by 5th_bike; 04-20-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: counting error