Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Head gasket replacement?

Has anyone replaced a head gasket? My 2000 after 9800 mi. has developed a small leak. I'm talkin about the gasket between the cylinder head and piston jug. Not the gasket on the cylinder head cover.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Head gasket replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
Has anyone replaced a head gasket? My 2000 after 9800 mi. has developed a small leak. I'm talkin about the gasket between the cylinder head and piston jug. Not the gasket on the cylinder head cover.
I would certainly have a go at re-torq'ing the bolts first.....if it is a tiny leak.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
theneanderthal

Send a message via AIM to theneanderthal Send a message via MSN to theneanderthal Send a message via Yahoo to theneanderthal

What kind of leak?

Compression?

Minor oil seepage?

There's probably an upper engine gasket set which has everthing you'll need.

Try,
http://www.sspowersportsclarksville.com/

Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I had a little of that (Oil leak or stain) on the right rear of the cylinder just below the head. I had the head re-torqued at 12k just to be sure it wasn't a gasket leak. I got the crud off with bumper sticker remover. I used it on the motor when cold, let it sit 10 minutes, and took it right off with a brush. Cleaned that up w/ soap and water. Voila, no crud no stain.

My pal who teaches a Florida MSF course says almost all their GZ's get it. He told me it's a shipping preservative (some type of cosmoline) that the dealer didn't get all the way off at delivery clean-up

This is what I wrote in the Ride Report thread where Easy Rider stated he stopped to have his bike checked on his trip because he thought he had an oil leak.

FYI
You should read the "Oil Leak" topic below on this page.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Quimrider

I've had oil leak out of the valve cover. I'm still trying to figure that one out. now I'm getting a puff of smoke accompanied by a "poot" that comes from the front of the engine where the cylinder jug meets the cylinder head when I first start it. I went thru several restarts tracking down where the little puff of smoke was coming from. I'll have to re-torque everything and see if that helps.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Sarris

If it's pooting out a puff of smoke between the cylinder head and the cylinder a re-torque ain't gonna help. Sounds like you're needing a head gasket.

You'll have to replace the valve cover gasket when you disassemble it anyways, so you also may want to put a cylinder base gasket on her while your at it if you have ring compressor or have it done at a shop.

Sorry bro. :skull:
Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Quimrider

I guess that's what I get for riding her WOT all the time. I'll keep riding her till the snow flakes start flying here in Ohio. It's not that terribly bad... yet, but I do notice a small loss of power. I guess I'll have to shell out the big bucks for the valve cover gasket goo. You can see in the "oil leak" thread I've tried a couple different liquid gaskets, but none seem to hold very long. And no I checked it's not warped.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
You can see in the "oil leak" thread I've tried a couple different liquid gaskets, but none seem to hold very long. And no I checked it's not warped.
I guess I wasn't reading those posts closely enough. There is ZERO hope of sealing a head gasket leak without taking the head off......and if you have the head off you could have put on a new gasket, along with the appropriate sealer.

What is not warped? You can't tell if the head is warped without taking it OFF.

AND for the final bad news: If you NEED to be going 70+ mph most of the time, either you have the wrong bike OR you're just gonna have to resign yourself to a little more maintenance. Any engine that is run WFO all the time requires extra care.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Quimrider

Ok seems to be confusion between two separate issues.

1) The "valve cover" or top half of the cylinder head has only a liquid gasket. That is where I leak oil. The service manual says something about using "Suzuki bond 1210" or something like that. It also says to check to make sure that the cover has not warped. I checked mine it didn't warp. I've tried an aviation liquid gasket maker, and high temp "Copper RTV silicone" Neither of which have lasted more than a week or two before resuming leaking. I guess I'll just have to break down and spend 20 bucks on the Suzuki liquid gasket.

2) Combustion gas leak between the cylinder head and piston jugg. (cylinder head gasket). This is what I started this thread for, to see if anyone else has had to replace a head gasket and get their feed back. Yes I'm aware this involves tearing off the top half of the engine.

Sarris, Thanks for the idea about changing the base gasket while I've got it apart. I didn't think about that, but makes a lot of sense to do that too.

Easy Rider, I'm well aware of this bikes limitations and you're right, I have resigned myself to more maintenance. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the redline on this engine is 8,500 RPM. I use the 16t sprocket and I rarely exceed 7000 RPM (65 - 70mph typ.) Maybe I'm just naive to think it "should" be able to cruise at 7000 RPM all day without a hitch. I have it jetted pretty close to stock. The bike will go 75-85 when jetted rich as hell but the loss of 15-20 mpg and having very blue pipes isn't worth it. Aside from that all the other mods, opening up the intake and exhaust really don't do anything other than lower your mileage and/or make the bike noisy.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Ok seems to be confusion between two separate issues.

1) The "valve cover" or top half of the cylinder head has only a liquid gasket.
Indeed.
There is no real pressure inside the valve cover. An engine is an engine; whatever works on a car should work on your bike too. Nothing magic about the Zuki product.

Your detailed description of your riding habits is quite different than the previous message:
"I guess that's what I get for riding her WOT all the time. "
Your bike is about 8 years old and sounds like it gets a lot of miles. That may be more of a factor than the speeds you ride......which sounds more like cruising than "WOT".

And finally, when changing out the head gasket, I would recommend NOT digging any deeper than you need to. Removing the jug to do the bottom end gasket just adds an additional level of complexity to the project.......and additional places for things to go wrong.