Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
kmrcstintn

help with chain cleaning & lube...

I am asking for hints/tricks on chain cleaning & lube since I have not done it before...

I do not have a motorcycle stand/lift and no one to help...how do I safely raise and support my rear tire/frame? how do I remove my chain guard and sprocket cover? what chemicals do I need to clean? what kind of brush? what is best chemical to lube with that lasts & won't attract dirt? thanks...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
blaine

Re: help with chain cleaning & lube...

You can do it with the bike on the ground,without removing the chain guard.Just clean & lube the bottom portion of the chain that is exposed & move the bike ahead till you expose more dirty chain.Kerosene is best to clean the chain with,as it won't harm o-rings.I always used a cloth with Kerosene on it to clean the chain as I found brushes to be to messy,as the kerosene goes everywhere.I use a good chain wax (PJ-1 as it goes on clear & doesn't attract dirt.(Great for lubing cables & pivot points too)
:cool:

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Skunkhome

I jack up the rear wheel just enough to clear the ground then turn the wheel as necessary to access the chain. That way I can put a tray under the chain and catch all the kerosine drips and crud.
This next time I am going to try cleaning with the Kerosine in a high pressure oiler, hoping I can get a more thorough cleaning.

How do you lube the cables?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
kmrcstintn

@ cable lube...I just got the bike @ 2 weeks ago and haven't done it; I did buy a can of Cable Life lubricant for that purpose, but looking at the cables I don't see easy access to do it...hhmmm
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Rookie Rider

When i forst got my bike i didnt have anything to lift the bike. I cleaned the chain with kerosene and a brush, rolled bike forward bout a foot, then continued cleaning the chain. Then waited a few minutes, then sprayed on a chain lube. Covers come off with some screws, simple to see which screws come off. And im a newbie brother. DO IT !!

Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
5th_bike

I made a bike stand from 4 pieces of "2"x"3" inch wood, 2 upside down T-shapes that I now use to get the rear wheel off the ground.

Clean with paint brush and kerosene. Paint tray underneath the chain, paper towels underneath the rear sprocket, to catch drips of kerosene & crud. Dry with paper towels and some time. Then put heavy gear oil on it also with the brush, to get it all over the chain.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
mrlmd1

Once you clean the chain. spray it with Dupont Teflon spray lube. (Comes in a blue can, avail at Walmart, Autozone, Home Depot, Lowes, and any auto parts or hardware store). No further mess, doesn't fling off, no grime, as nothing - dirt/sand. etc - sticks to it, no further messy chain cleaning and maintenance. Just spray it on every few hundred miles and that's it. Recommended by innumerable members on many bike forums and good for anything needing lube.
Do a search on the forum and you will find numerous threads about chain care and products to use.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Once you clean the chain. spray it with Dupont Teflon spray lube. (Comes in a blue can, avail at Walmart, Autozone, Home Depot, Lowes, and any auto parts or hardware store). No further mess, doesn't fling off, no grime, as nothing - dirt/sand. etc - sticks to it, no further messy chain cleaning and maintenance. Just spray it on every few hundred miles and that's it. Recommended by innumerable members on many bike forums and good for anything needing lube.
Do a search on the forum and you will find numerous threads about chain care and products to use.
Agreed! That is what I used at the recommendation of a couple of veteran riders. It is safe for the o-rings and after a few minutes is completely dry. I have about 500 miles On my last lube and the chain and sprocket is still clean and well lubed. I just checked it after my last ride and decided that I will let it go another tank full before I clean up and relube.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
[...] I have about 500 miles On my last lube and the chain and sprocket is still clean and well lubed. [...] I will let it go another tank full before I clean up and relube.
Yes 600 miles is the interval that the user manual recommends for chain cleaning and lubing, indeed.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
[...] I have about 500 miles On my last lube and the chain and sprocket is still clean and well lubed. [...] I will let it go another tank full before I clean up and relube.
Yes 600 miles is the interval that the user manual recommends for chain cleaning and lubing, indeed.
I will suggest taking the cleaning interval with a grain of salt. That is based on what the Suzuki manual recommends as a lube. A good clean chain lube will greatly extend the range before cleaning. You will also get less build up of mung around the front sprocket under the sprocket cover. As always, I recommend DuPont with Teflon.