Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #31
Fausto

Re: Failed Emissions test- CO was too high. What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
If you are getting no change when adjusting,you are either on the wrong screw or your idle circuit is completely plugged. when you remove the idle mixture screw there should be a spring & o-ring on the screw.make sure you don't loose them.The mixture jet is pointed on the end.It should be set at 2 turns out to start than adjusted with the bike running.Jet should look like 3rd one in pic.

:cool:
Hi Blaine. Thank you for your help it is very much appreciated. But I am not a bit more confused than what we started with. What is the mixture jet? Is that the same as the Pilot Screw? Also in the picture you mention the "3rd one in the pic" is the the 3rd one from the left?
Thanks man.

I looked at this post from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=617 and it has a picture of the bottom of a carb and it looks like I did uncapped the right screw. I dont know what to do next.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #32
blaine

Yes pilot jet & idle mixture jet two different names for same part.Yes 3rd from the left.Start with 2 1/2 turns out & adjust slowly to were idle is smoothest.
:cool:

Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #33
Fausto

Hey guys,
I gave up. I could only adjust properly and guess what I was doing was correct. I took it to a shop and coughed up $225 for it to be serviced. I dont regret it though, the shop owner did a good and went far and above took the bike to emissions himself. He said my chock was stuck and bent so it would close or open properly, my boots were not aligning properly and my jets were not cleaned completly. I drove it home and wow did it feel completly different. I'll report back after a put a few miles and see how it is doing.
In the mean time, how the hell do I fight the temptation to adjust the idle mixture screw just to see where it is set at? lol And that shitty feeling when a different motorcycle flies by me sounding like a chopper, how do I fight the need to drill holes in my muffler and mod it just so that my bike dont sound like a quad?

Thanks to all that helped, It is very much appreciated.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #34
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausto

In the mean time, how the hell do I fight the temptation.................... And that shitty feeling when a different motorcycle flies by me sounding like a chopper, how do I fight the need to drill holes in my muffler and mod it just so that my bike dont sound like a quad?

Don't do that. Not only will you hate the sound but you may have to rejet or play with the carb again if it doesn't run right, and you will get all messed up or pay again for someone to try and fix it. This bike is what it is, it will never sound a whole lot different, never like a Harley or a Gixxer (big sport bike).
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausto

In the mean time, how the hell do I fight the temptation.................... And that shitty feeling when a different motorcycle flies by me sounding like a chopper, how do I fight the need to drill holes in my muffler and mod it just so that my bike dont sound like a quad?

Don't do that. Not only will you hate the sound but you may have to rejet or play with the carb again if it doesn't run right, and you will get all messed up or pay again for someone to try and fix it. This bike is what it is, it will never sound a whole lot different, never like a Harley or a Gixxer (big sport bike).
Absolutely agree. Leave it alone. You can't fix something that isn't broken. The GZ is what it is. Learn to appreciate the bike for what it is and do not try to make a chopper or sport bike out of it. You will never succeed.
The GZ is a simple reliable staple in the motorcycle world that will serve you well with a little TLC and regular maintenance. Ride the bike within it's limitations and don't ask for more. You will be surprised and happy to find a GZ can take you almost anywhere a larger bike will but a lot cheaper and a bit slower so you can enjoy the sites and smell the flowers more readily.