Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Fausto

Failed Emissions test- CO was too high. What now?

I am not exactly new here, I have lurked and learned from all of you for the past 4 months.

I got my first motorcycle a 2007 GZ250 with 4,447 miles. It did not start, battery was dead. I jumped it with out turning the car on and it started. But it could only idle. As soon as I pulled the throttle it would die. Came to the forum and read a lot. Tried the Sea foam like many recommended and drove it around for 15 miles on idle, while doing so I practiced in a parking lot at idle speeds. Cornering and braking, well anyways we felt like one, me and my new acquired bike. but it didn't work,

I came back to the forums and read a post with pictures about doing some mods to your bike and it included changing the needles. forgive me I dont remember the name but it helped. I removed the carb, pulled the needles and cleaned them. They were clogged bad with a tar like substance. Replaced the carb and connected everything back and it ran fine. Bought a new battery and charged it overnight and drove it to emissions today. But it failed. It said my CO carbon monoxide failed. Said my Idle standard should be 5.50 and I was at 9.51.

Could it be that the Sea Foam is affecting the reading or did I miss some carb adjustments?

Thanks for all your help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
PimpS

Re: Failed Emissions test- CO was too high. What now?

Fausto, sea foam, as far as my knowledge, should lower the emisions of CO, cause it makes burning better... Maybe your engine is just too lean? In any case, other much more skilled guys will guide you through and get your bike done and emisions right!
Take care, I hope for speedy solution!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Fausto

PimpS, thanks for the reply. I have a tank full of gas and I poured half a bottle of sea foam in it. So I am relieved I wont need to dispose of the gas or run it for another 200 miles.
So I would need to adjust something or alter the other to compensate?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Fausto

Can someone else help please. If my fuel mixture is too rich, what adjustments can I make to my carb? Can I counter act the richness by giving it more air. I have a stock air filter, do I remove the piece that restricts air? Anything?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausto
Can someone else help please. If my fuel mixture is too rich, what adjustments can I make to my carb? Can I counter act the richness by giving it more air. I have a stock air filter, do I remove the piece that restricts air? Anything?
If you are running rich you can lean the mixture by adjusting the idle mixture,(pilot jet).You may need to remove the factory plug if it still in place.
:cool:

Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Fausto

Thank you Blain, very much. I think I remember reading about the the idle mixture screw. I do have a plug so I would have to drill it out. I'll search the forum for more info on drilling the plug.
I do have one question though. How will I know when I have the right mixture? At least till I pass the emissions test.
Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Thank you Blain, very much. I think I remember reading about the the idle mixture screw. I do have a plug so I would have to drill it out. I'll search the forum for more info on drilling the plug.
I do have one question though. How will I know when I have the right mixture? At least till I pass the emissions test.
Thanks again!
2 1/2 turns out is a good starting point.You need to adjust with bike warmed up idling.Turn out slowly (rich) till the idle starts to roll,than back in (lean) till idle starts to stumble.About half way between both extremes,to were the bike idles smoothest.You may want to stay on the lean side till you pass emissions than adjust for smoothest idle.
:2tup:

Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Fausto

Ok, I get what happend. When I cleaned out the jets it and replaced them I remember turning the pilot jet in all the way. So it is seated and I did not count the turns. Does anyone know what the stock number of turns of from the seated position?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Ok, I get what happend. When I cleaned out the jets it and replaced them I remember turning the pilot jet in all the way. So it is seated and I did not count the turns. Does anyone know what the stock number of turns of from the seated position?
2.5 turns from seated. :cool:

Old 08-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Fausto

Thanks for the info, I'll get it done when I get off work in a few hours. But I am confused Blain, I thought the Pilot Scew was underneath the carb under the float chamber? I thought I would have to dissasmble the carb. I was looking at the diagram for the carb in the owners manual and the pilot screw was #10 on the list. :??: