Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
kmrcstintn

what oil y'all using?

I am contemplating the purchase of a 2009 GZ 250 w/ @ 1000 miles; the dealer will do a complimentary first service (oil will be Spectro conventional 10w-40); I plan on doing my own oil changes, chain lube, etc & wondering what oil y'all use in your GZ's...thanks

I am currently sitting on a stash of Valvoline 4-stroke 10w-40 conventional motorcycle oil & was told by the dealer to wait until the 4K service before switching to a synthetic or synthetic blend...any truth to this? thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
GZ250

Re: what oil y'all using?

this bike can take conventional as well as synthetic. selection/type of oil is a personal preference mostly. if you have something in bulk you can use that but spending too much on high quality oil won't help in any way. regular oil and filter changes and care will help more than using expensive products for this bike. dealer is right. you can start using your preferred oil from the next oil change. I do the filter change (suzuki stock) every time i do oil change and i have used both synthetic and non-synthetic. bike might feel more comfy with synthetic.

you might have to use gas additives (STP, seafoam, etc) to keep the carb clean. this is the main issue with this bike.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

You can switch back and forth anytime you want. Mix them if you want. Dino and synthetic are compatible with each other.
A HiFlo oil filter HF 136 is the same as a Suzuki filter at less cost.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
kmrcstintn

I use Sta-Bil marine ethanol stabilizer & either Seafoam or another cleaner in maintenance doses for the gas I bulk store in gas cans and add a few extra ounces of cleaner occasionally in the tanks of my moto & scoot...

good to hear about the HiFlo filter...looks virtually the same as the K&N element filters; guess I'll use Suzuki Synthetic Blend 10w-40 after 4K (bought some for the V Star)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
mithuth

I was "y'all" in the title and said to myself, "Hey, a fellow Pennsylvanian!," before i even looked at the OP's location. LOL!!!
Apparently we're about the only ones left that uses "y'all".

Good to know on that filter. I put it in my file of "Things to not forget". I was trying to find out what oil to use and came across this thread. Just so I'm clear. Any 10-40 will due, or do I need "motorcycle specific" 10-40?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithuth
Any 10-40 will due, or do I need "motorcycle specific" 10-40?
You can use any oil that is not labeled "Energy conserving".Shell Rotella-t is one of the better ones.
:cool:

Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
mithuth

Thanks. I thought "oil is oil" but didn't want to find out at 40mph+ that I was wrong. lol
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithuth
Thanks. I thought "oil is oil" but didn't want to find out at 40mph+ that I was wrong. lol
Oil that is labeled "energy conserving" will cause your clutch to slip,and eventually ruin the clutch plates.
:2tup:

Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

New oils also might say "resource conserving".

It's the same as "energy conserving" and should be avoided for things with a wet clutch.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Motorcycle oils have a greater "shear" resistance. The gears tend to break down oil faster due to their shear forces. Amsoil M/C 10-40 has a shear force resistance equivalent to a 90 weight gear oil.
I don't know offhand about good old Rotella but it really works well and the shifts are always smooth so I think I can safely assume it has very good shear resistance over time.