Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
mcintyre_aerospace

GZ250 Vs Semi Truck on 2/1/08

Well folks, I just wanted to tell everyone to stay alert on overpasses. Why you ask? Well, yesterday I had just washed my motorcycle, and I decided to go to the local airport to visit my bro. The highway that it is on has an overpass over I-10 and has the usual fast food and ruck stops there. Well I was riding my the guard rail going around 50-55 mph, when I realized there was a truck pulling out in front of me, and he was gassing it. By the time I reacted I was looking at his rear wheels about 15 feet away. I didn't have enough room to go around his rear, and I couldn't turn down the access road, so I hit by brakes, locking them up, and laid it over. I got out from under the bike and skidded/rolled for about 20 feet until I hit my head on the big stop sign in the little triangular median. If I hadn't worn a leather jacket and my full face helmet, I would have been in far more serious condition. All that happened to me was some pretty bad road rash on my right hand, and each finger is badly cut. The funny thing is that another truck driver stopped to help me, but the one that caused the wreck ran. I was able to stand and shut my bike off and get my helmet off. It took the EMS about 15 minutes to reach my right outside of town. A very good thing is that my bike suffered little damage. I need a new headlight assembly, a muffler, a rear break pedal, and maybe new handlebars, most of which I was going to replace anyways. It started right up and my bro drove it to the airport while I went to the ER. Ive been told I got off really lightly for the situation I was in going around 50. So the point is, always wear a good jacked and gloves, and NEVER forget the helmet, It really does SAVE LIVES. Oh and watch out for those retarded truck drivers, they always full out into the road without looking.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Jaime

Oh, I'm sorry. :sad: I hope you recover soon from your injuries.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Badbob

ATGATT

Always assume that every vehicle you see coming from side roads are going to pull out in front of you. Slow cover your brakes and clutch. Get ready to stop. Don't wait until they pull out prepare to stop as soon as you see them. I also like to signal the car behind me that I'm slowing by flashing my brake light. Remember that every second counts. You should also practice your breaking and other riding skills in a parking lot. Watch your following distances. You tangle with a little bitty cage and you loose. Keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you. I like to use the one second of following distance for every 10 mph.

Glad you to hear you were not hurt to bad.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
badfun

Send a message via AIM to badfun
Sorry to hear of your accident. Good to know that you did all the right things. I am amazed that people around here ride around in shorts and no helmets in the summer time.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
trykemike

Hope you heal up ok.

I sent this report to 2 guys at work here as an FYI.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Hope you get better Mc.

I'd like to make a suggestion. You said that you were riding by the guard rail. I assume that this means that you were to the far right of the right lane.
I ride down the middle of the lane and guard my position. Being away from the side of the road also gives other drivers a change to see you coming. The only time I'm ever that far over to the right is when I'm riding my bicycle.

I use the same strategy when I'm in traffic. When several cars are lined up back to back in traffic, the ability of vehicles up in the front of the line is diminished by the closeness of the cars behind it. To make sure that I am seen, I move over to the farthest side of whatever lane I am in so that those drivers have a chance to see me coming.

I'm not sugesting that this was your fault. I'm just giving some advice based on personal experience.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
mcintyre_aerospace

Well folks, today I laid my bike over again, but I was only going around 10 mph turning into the street in front of my house and I hit a really bad spot of gravel that wasnt there before, It didnt look like it hurt me or my bike, but the gravel was damn near impossible to see. Need to keep a really really good lookout for gravel, that stuff sucks. When I walked in the door my brother gave me good news, looks like the insurance gave me around 1500 bucks for my big accident, which was a lot more than I thought it would be. Oh and Johnathan, I wasnt really by the guard rail per say, I just said that to describe which lane I was in, i was in nearly the middle of the outside lane. Im actually scared to death of the guard rail, if I drive a car I kinda stay really close to the inside lane, or if Im clear Ill switch lanes to the inside when I see the guard rail, then switch back after I pass. All my wounds are just about healed up, no permanent damage seen so far, and my insurance is paying for everything. Im planning on using the money I get to buy a new bike. Whats yalls thoughts on a Honda Magna, im thinking either a regular VF750 or a Super Magna, or my top pick would be the V65 with the 1100 cc V4 motor. I mainly want a big bike to go to Midland, a town 100 miles north of here which is the closest big city with over 10,000 people, unlike here.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
badfun

Send a message via AIM to badfun
I here things like this come in 3's you had better be real careful.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

As far as areplacement bike, I would suggest something a little smaller than 1100. There are pretty sweet 500-650 bikes out there. If style if what you're after, start looking around on:

www.bikepics.com