Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
LilNinja77

Drunk drivers.....ugh

So it hasn't been a fun morning for me. I left from my place around 12:45 am to head west and then south, ultimate goal being the greater Smoky Mountain area. Schedule was to spend tue. and wed. riding Cherohalla, Deals Gap, and the Devils' Triangle, among other things to do. Other than being stiff from the cold everything was going good, for about an hour and a half. It was at that point that some idiot decided the westbound side of US-58 was his personal eastbound lane. Well me and my Ninja just about poo'd our leathers at this point, but thankfully I was able to pull off and wait as this moron went by.....and I could visibly see him drinking still as he tore off like a bat out of hell. Well, needless to say that wasn't really how I had hoped the trip would start out, so I decided to take a breather. Ironically that negative led to a positive, because another biker went by shortly after and when I went to resume my ride, I saw him stopped on the side of the road on the eastbound side. I went to see if everything was ok, and the visor from his Icon helmet had broken off. So we headed further east back to my place, where I gave him a spare helmet I had. He was riding up from Florida, and after many thanks and a few directions he was back on his way. By this time I was over 3 hours behind schedule, and my enthusiasm had waned quite a lot afterwards, so my trip is postponed for a week, but damn it was an eventful morning. Just be careful out there everyone, you never know when some idiot is gonna get behind the wheel drunk. Ride aware and ride to be seen.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Badbob

One of the things I dislike about cruisers is that leaving the pavement to avoid a problem is more likely than not just not an option. When you are confronted with a vehicle on the wrong side of the road you need get as far right as you can and reduce your speed. Never go left. If the other drive wakes up and realizes he is in the wrong lane guess where he is going to go next.

You did good.

I like your sig. You can have it fast, cheap or reliable pick two.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

just like NASA

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
LilNinja77

Thanks Badbob, I didn't think about it at the time but I did pull off to the right-side of the road, mainly just because I was already in the right-lane to begin with. Now I'm just hoping that things go better next week when I try again :2tup: .......school starts in May and I'll be damned if I don't do this trip before then. Although even then I can't really complain, there are lots of mountain roads around Blacksburg, VA (where I'll be moving to)
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~