Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
LilNinja77

Thor 50/50 Boots Review

I was browsing at a local motorcycle parts-shop earlier this week, looking for a good pair of boots for a friend who very recently got a motorcycle. His budget isn't allowing for much gear-buying right now, but he wants to wear proper gear while riding, so I've been trying my best to help him out some. I've given him a helmet and Fieldsheer riding jacket (we just happen to be almost the exact same body size, rather conveniently), and had loaned him my pair of SetUp Vision boots the last time we rode. Having only ridden with sneakers on before, he instantly fell in love with proper riding boots after the experience, and that became the next piece of gear he wanted to get. Now I already have a pair of Sidi Vertigo's, and the pair of SetUp's (SetUp is basically a bargain-priced Sidi boot), so I wasn't looking for any boots for myself.

I had seen various Thor boots in magazines and on websites before, but had never tried any of them on. For the most part they make heavy duty motocross boots, which are a bit too heavy and bulky to be practical on a streetbike IMO. Pretty much on a whim I decided to try on a pair of their 50/50 boots, just for the hell of it..........wow is all I can say. The quality of these boots is very nice, honestly I was kind of surprised how much I liked them. A couple minutes later I walked out in my new pair of boots :2tup: .

I'm used to riding in my Sidi's, which by many accounts are some of the highest quality and protective street-boots out there......and their price reflects it. I love my Sidi's, and wear them hot/cold, rain/shine, short/long distance rides; they really are a great motorcycle boot and are worth every penny. But I'm being serious, I feel just as safe....maybe a little MORE, in this pair of 50/50 motocross boots. The latch-tightening system takes a little getting used to, but really works wonderfully and allows a very custom fit; which is nice if you are like me and one foot is a little more wide than the other. The sole-tread is very grippy and sticks to the footpegs nicely, and provides a nice sturdy grip on the road at stops. Even though the boot cuts off just above the ankle, the latch-fitment and firm build of the boot actually provides more ankle-support than my pair of Sidi's! Obviously it doesn't provide any shin protection, but everything is a trade-off with gear...........price vs quality, comfort vs protection, function vs form. Here are some photos, including some that show both the Thor and the Sidi for comparison.

For those that don't know, a new pair of Sidi Vertigo's will set you back the better part of $300......the Thor's cost me $110. Although it isn't an issue for me (I'm used to riding around looking like a leather-clad power ranger), the boots are fairly neutral looking and don't scream "look at me", which I know some people prefer. I would highly recommend this boot to anyone looking for a comfortable boot that doesn't look too flashy, yet provides ample ankle support and protection.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Doug577

Send a message via AIM to Doug577 Send a message via Yahoo to Doug577
Thanks for the review! I'm looking to replace my workboots with something that works a bit better. (The toe of the boot is too big to easily get under the shifter). I'll check these out.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
LilNinja77

These boots ARE a little thick for a street-boot (at least compared to my other boots.....but they are sport-boots anyway), but on a cruiser-styled bike there shouldn't me any issues. On a full race-replica sportbike I doubt they would fit beneath the shifter very easily. On my Ninja 250 they fit fine with the shifter at the factory-set position. What's nice is that the extra little bit of thickness helps to cancel out vibration some, which I like. They are comfortable enough to wear and walk around in all day long, I've been wearing them as my regular shoes the past several days and have no complaints. My initial impression is that they are thick and sturdy enough to handle a lot of road time with no issues. About the only place I could see a potential problem arising would be the little metal latches themselves, the attachments to the cross-straps seem like they might get weak with wear and tear.....but I'm not complaining at the price.

The store I was at had the black, and a tan pair as well.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~

Login or Register to Remove Ads