Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
Frenz 08GZ250

2nd season GZ250 Bay Shore NY

My father decided to stat riding at 80! (83 now) He bought the GZ250 but the shifting was causing him some grief, so he gave me the bike and he bought an automatic 150cc scooter. Last summer I logged 700 miles with my Dad. Had a Carb Idle problem till My mechanic drilled out the set screw and set it for 1&1/2 turns. Now the idle stays the same wether cold or hot or after long runs. He said he does it to all the 250's right from the get go so you don't have the fluxuating idle. After this the bike was fantastic! I usually get 79 mpg so i'm not sad. I installed a fuel filter this year and hope to add the Hyperlites. I fully dress with all protective gear this year. New boots, mess jacket with armour 3, full helment and gloves. Last year was slack on this but rarely drove over 45mph. Will be 60 in Sept. and desire to ride a bit longer. Thanks for a great website. I have read every article so if I need something I know where to go. Having been in maint. all my life I prefer doing all my own work. I will tackle a little each year. Between years of automotive and being an electronic tech. this bike appears to be a dream. With gas going over $4 today my bike will be relied upon more then ever. Right now I am trying to figure out how to lift the bike under the engine. I will probably cast a mold with sides made of foam sitting on 1/2' plywood and fill a compound and cover with plastic. With the bike in a wheel chock I will jack the material up and wait a day or till it dries. It is my hope to then have this mold anytime to lift the bike. Anyway just thought I'd share that with you now. It may take all summer to work it all out.
Anyway thanks for all the great info!
Rod Frenz Bay Shore NY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
JWR

Re: 2nd season GZ250 Bay Shore NY

Good first post.
Welcome to the board.

You might want to check out the homemade, wooden jack stands.

Enjoy.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
blaine

Welcome to the forum.Safe riding. :2tup:

Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
cayuse

Welcome!
By all means build the molded lifting cradle if that's your thing.
But, if you want to put your time into other things I fully recommend the wooden jack stands shown on this site. They are very stable, allowing you to work on the rear wheel, chain, sprocket, etc.
I needed to lift the front end for fork work so I put her up on the jack stands and then lifted under the cross bar just in front of the engine with a floor jack. She sat like that very happily for the best part of a week while I messed with the shocks.
Cheers!

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Frenz 08GZ250

Thanks for all the jack imput. I guess my dream would be to get it on of one of those pitbull jacks used for Harleys that lift it 35" and can ratate 360 degrees and move your bike anywhere in the shop. So that is why I had thought a mold that would provide the flat surface for jack. Believe me I was greatly impressed with the would jack stands.
Thanks everyone!

Rod

Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. I spent 57 years on Long Island. Mostly Levittown but I lived in Bethpage and Oakdale for a couple of years. Having worked for the Long Island Lighting Company/Keyspan for 30 years I rode the island from Far Rockaway to Montauk Point. Ride safe.