Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Peachy140

A new member wanting to say hi to every one

Hello every one my names Chris, I'm 29 from Gibraltar. I've had a Suzuki Marauder GZ250 for almost two years now that I bought second hand from someone I work with who bought it from someone else I work with who... recurring. This goes back to the first name on the log book earning her the nick name "The village bike".

My bike has just spent a total of 3 months in two garages and after just getting it back 2 days ago I am already seeing problems which could be costly. I did a google search for the problems Ive found since getting the bike out of the garage and this forum was the best resource I found, so much so that I decided to sign up.

Ive got a fair amount of experience on forums having run several of my own for pleasure and work in the past. I'm a regular user on other forums so I'm generally a fair player, although please excuse my netspeak and bad spelling. Having read the rules prior to posting I'll do my best to curb it.

Despite having owned and ridden mopeds, racing replicas, scramblers and road bikes for the last 12 years, Im by no means an expert but Ill gladly share my limited experience in any way I can for the benefit of the community.

Looking forward to chatting to you all.

Chris

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
alantf

Re: A new member wanting to say hi to every one

Hi there,

You'll find that none of us stand on formality, here. Just accept the rough & tumble, & go for it! :neener: :lol:

BTW, where are you from originally, like - I'm in Spain, but I'm originally from England?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Peachy140

Hey Alan,

Yeah thanks for that will do mate

I was born in Bermondsey London, although I have to admit I dont consider my self a Londoner. My mums a local here and I've lived here for most of my life so for all intents and purposes Im a local. What part of Spain do you live in?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
alantf

Spent all my life in Yorkshire, but retired early, & spent the last eight years in Tenerife. Not the touristy south, but up in the north among the mountains & vineyards. We've got a car, but with it being such a small island, with a traffic congestion problem, & parking spaces virtually non existant in the villages & towns, a bike's the ideal form of transport. Plus, I can ride 52 weeks a year.

BTW, if you've got the big "Marauder" logo on the tank (as opposed to the flat Suzuki "S") it's a European bike. That means that the carb's set up different (richer) than the American bikes, which have to comply with their emmission regs, so ignore anything on the site regarding carb mods. :2tup:
Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
blaine

Welcome to the family. :cool:

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina, USA. In the "Mug" forum I mentioned the MFS BRC. I didn't realize (duh) you were not in the US so whatever course is available to you you should take. You probably already did in order to get you license. Good luck and wear your gear.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
Peachy140

Thanks guys nice to be here

Mole - sorry didnt understand a word of that, perhaps when I read the mugshot thread it will come clear to me lol

Alan -
Quote:
BTW, if you've got the big "Marauder" logo on the tank (as opposed to the flat Suzuki "S") it's a European bike.
That's interesting. I just got my bike back from the garage and they told me that it was a "grey import" meaning that parts had to come from the US because they werent available in Europe, or at least they couldnt identify the parts with the VIN number. Yes mine does have the Marauder logo on the tank. Good tip, thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy140
I just got my bike back from the garage and they told me that it was a "grey import" meaning that parts had to come from the US because they werent available in Europe, or at least they couldnt identify the parts with the VIN number. Yes mine does have the Marauder logo on the tank. Good tip, thanks
Something doesn't add up.The big logo signifys that it is a Canadian-European model. :??:

Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Peachy140

My thoughts exactly i think ill add to check the VIN number to my list of dos and dont when buying used bikes on another thread lol
Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
lenkf

As I've been observing on this forum, there's many variations of the "GZ250". American and European models. Further, there are "Chinese clones" of this bike which simply dont have "Suzuki" on the engine side cases.

My 2009 GZ250 has decals indicating it was "made" in Spain. I suspect most GZ250s of this era were made in Spain. The Spanish used to make decent motorcycles, but maybe Suzuki didn't like quality control of the GZ250 so stopped manufacture there. Thus, the GZ250 is no longer manufactured, at least not coming to the US now. Too bad because it used to be a high performing single cylinder moto with twin dome head and "dual exhaust". This gz250 forum has yet to explain the "big" advantage of the dual exhaust on the twin dome head, while other Suzuki similar engines are still used with maybe less capability, like the TU250.

Luckily, my GZ250 has not had any manufacturing problems as yet with about 500 miles. I'm still breaking it in per the manufacturer's requirement to keep things less than half throttle (whatever that is if you don't know what full throttle is, 55mph? An mph per gear would have been more informative for break-in. Can't wait to try 65mph on the freeway since "max" speed on the web seems to be closer to 80mph, after the manufacturers nebulous recommended break in period. The GZ250 doesn't have a tach or other engine guages to determine performance. Its a simple bike and that's why I like it because I can maintain it.

fred