Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Spamulaspam

Re: A Great Big Hello From England!

At the moment the licensing laws are... If you are over 17 years of age you can legally ride up to a 125 on learner plates after passing your CBT (compulsary bike training) which you have to renew every 2 years. If however, you decide to obtain a full bike licence you have 3 options:-
1, You can pass the "small" bike test whereby you can only ever ride up to a 125.
2, Pass the "restricted" bike test. You can only ride a bike up to 33BHP for 2 years and then can ride anything.
3, Obtain your "big" bike licence which covers you for any CC straight away (you have to be over 21)
It has got a bit complicated now over here. To obtain any of the above you have to go through 4 stages...
Before being able to ride at all you have to complete your basic training. Its a day course that teaches you the very basics of riding safely on the road. Then its on to your theory test,which is all about the theoretics of riding and includes a hazard perception test which is all completed at a test center on a computor. Then if you pass this, its on to the modular 1 test which is completed at a special test center and involves U turns, slow riding, emergency stops and swerve test and....... then, phew! if you have managed to complete all this without failing its on to the modular 2 test. Thats a on-road assessment and entails mirrors, manouvering and speed etc.
Its a bloody nightmare getting a licence over here these days and majorly expensive!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Yup, that is quite complex but it is a system that works. Smaller and less powerful bikes are the best way to learn and gain skills without being overwhelmed by the sheer size and weight of a more powerful machine. Lynda chose to start on her GZ and later on upgraded to an 800 V-twin after 3 seasons. She has said that it was the best way to do things. Her Suzuki weighs in at nearly 600 pounds and could be a real handfull to a newbie with no experience.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
alantf

Yes, things have certainly changed since I got my bike licence in 1965. Trust the british government to make it as complicated as possible. I remember when I got my PSV (bus) licence in 1981. It was just a test for single deckers or double deckers. When they put the licence on the new plastic licences, instead of the separate paper ones, they changed the vehicle types to what size trailer it could pull. Thing is, I've never seen a bus puling a trailer in England. Our American members may be surprised to know that, in keeping with English beaurocracy, as well as the plastic licence, there's also a paper licence that goes with it.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #14
greatmaul

Hi and welcome from sunny California! Actually, it's kinda freezing and foggy, but we're not allowed to tell people that.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
Rookie Rider

Welcome to the forum, ride safe !!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Yes, things have certainly changed since I got my bike licence in 1965. Trust the british government to make it as complicated as possible. I remember when I got my PSV (bus) licence in 1981. It was just a test for single deckers or double deckers. When they put the licence on the new plastic licences, instead of the separate paper ones, they changed the vehicle types to what size trailer it could pull. Thing is, I've never seen a bus puling a trailer in England. Our American members may be surprised to know that, in keeping with English beaurocracy, as well as the plastic licence, there's also a paper licence that goes with it.
Must be our British Heritage but we had some of the same foolishness here. Drivers license at 16 and it qualified me to ride a bike automatically too. The only moto testing I had was in 2007 during a training course with Lynda. Better 47 years late than never. LOL. Need your bus license ? Take the road test in a Mini like I did. The only requirement was a manual transmission and a medical.
Believe it or not, at one time you could drive your own 40 foot motorhome with a car license. Gives a whole new meaning to Soccer Mom. I think this still applies.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
Spamulaspam

Thank you everyone for such a lovely warm welcome
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamulaspam
You are welcome. We do tend to get off topic most times but it only goes to show how diversified our interests and experiences are in daily living.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
T-Selwyn-Davis

Hello fellow 125er!

A warm welcome from London!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
Spamulaspam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamulaspam
You are welcome. We do tend to get off topic most times but it only goes to show how diversified our interests and experiences are in daily living.
Thats fine with me. I love a good chin wag