Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
BusyWeb

Load motorcycle into the Astro van

Loading a motorcycle into the Astro Van project.

In last couple of weeks, I had to spend time for some efficient way to loading a motorcyle on the car.
First of all, I had to find a vehicle.
Sedan, Pickup Truck, Van, and else...
After weeks of research, I decieded Astro Van.
The reasons for me.
1. Astro cargo space is good enough for the most mid-sized bikes
2. Motorcycle is well hidden by others after loaded
3. Many other stuffs are also loaded into the van, and it has advantage of weather proof.
4. MPG is pretty good ^^;
5. And used one price is very nice for me as poor man... ha ha ha

So, after I got a little reliable used Astro Van (passenger type), I removed all the rear seats.
Tried loading and unloading, successful.
However, loading the bike myself was little hard.
Unloading is easier.

I started a reserch again for a week.
Some useful information from internet has been found during the research.
Started my implementation.
Using 12V electronic winch is pretty simple and cost effective for the Astro Van and for me.

Bought some items.
1. 12V electronic winch with *** Remote Controller *** very nice..
2. Wheel chock for the secure transfort.
3. Portable Jump Power Battery for the winch
4. Couple of more ratchet straps
5. Winch mounting supplier, and build one for my new winch and wheel chock (customize)

Yes, today afternoon, finally finished the project.
Here is the some photos about it to share with you.

[youtube:3569pen3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQbc4yrI46E[/youtube:3569pen3]

Now, I need to start Fix Astro Van project for a week... ha ha ha
There are some problems for my new/used Astro Van.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Load motorcycle into the Astro van

No one will ever accuse you of not being serious with a project. That is quite a set-up. Security, storage and utility are ideal with a van with one exception. You have to bend over and hunch down to load the bike. That is not ideal but the winch will make that aspect much safer overall.
Years ago I would transport 2 bikes in a van and loaded them through the side door with a very short wooden ramp. A lot of work after a day of riding, being fatigued and then having to load up to go home.
Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
dhgeyer

Very clever! If you figure out a way to get the GZ250 into a Prius, please let me know!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

makes more sense than my project:

1) Find a place I want to ride that's 300 miles away.
2) Ride there as fast as possible. Get stiff neck and sore back, burn up tires and gas.
3) Pop a tylenol or two and do Ride.
4) Ride home. See #2. Possibly have heartburn from the tylenol. Rest neck, back, ass, and sometimes fingers, knees and feet.
5) Repeat.

Up until now I've been on a nice bike for doing the 300 miles, but if I get a half street/half dirt, I don't think I'm going to want to be putting the miles on the bike or my ass as much. I may go with an RV/bike setup if I pursue this. But I like the simplicity (and utility) of the cheap van approach.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Looking forward to the next installment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
If you figure out a way to get the GZ250 into a Prius, please let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
But I like the simplicity (and utility) of the cheap van approach.
Thanks for the comments...
Here is the Part 2, loading and unloading using winch.
I made some comments on the video clip.
Good and Bad parts of the using winch !!! ^^;
I may need some wider and longer ramps for easier and safer loading the bike...

[youtube:3jg8ds2i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fDlsZeoyU[/youtube:3jg8ds2i]

Thanks...

PS: I'm very skinny and physically not that strong, so I did this project.... ha ha ha

Old 08-31-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Busy, you have all the right stuff but may I suggest a couple different things that might make loading easier.
1st, attach the winch cable to the front rack on the bike. That way it will pull more evenly and there will be less left/right forces.
2nd, separate your ramps about a foot. You need to get further away from the bike for better balance and better use of your strength. Less chance of running over your own foot too.
3rd, Run the bike a bit to the right side of the van. Give yourself some wiggle room to move around. You need mobility to be successful when loading.
4th, unloading will be easier if you do not use the winch I think. Carefully roll backwards using the front brake and using the clutch with the trans in 1st gear. Letting the clutch out is an effective brake on the rear end.
5th, and this is just a thought that might work well. Space the ramps so you can actually put down the side stand on the left ramp if need be. With the bike in gear and clutch out you have effectively parked on a hill. You may need this one day. Try these ideas out with a safety man handy just in case you run into a snag.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
dannylightning

definately cool, i would have just built a ramp and jummped the bike in the the van, evil kenevil style.. how ever you spell that hahaha
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
BusyWeb

Quote:
Busy, you have all the right stuff but may I suggest a couple different things that might make loading easier.
1st, attach the winch cable to the front rack on the bike. That way it will pull more evenly and there will be less left/right forces.
2nd, separate your ramps about a foot. You need to get further away from the bike for better balance and better use of your strength. Less chance of running over your own foot too.
3rd, Run the bike a bit to the right side of the van. Give yourself some wiggle room to move around. You need mobility to be successful when loading.
4th, unloading will be easier if you do not use the winch I think. Carefully roll backwards using the front brake and using the clutch with the trans in 1st gear. Letting the clutch out is an effective brake on the rear end.
5th, and this is just a thought that might work well. Space the ramps so you can actually put down the side stand on the left ramp if need be. With the bike in gear and clutch out you have effectively parked on a hill. You may need this one day. Try these ideas out with a safety man handy just in case you run into a snag.
Thanks, thanks alot.
I also thought some different strategies for this van/winch methods after my first try.
First of all, I may need little wider and longer ramps so that I could solve #2 and #5 you have suggested.
#3, I had to do it from next loading/unloading ^^;
#4, Made a successful unloading with this method before, and I would do it again without using winch >> clutch method would be very helpful and will try it.

About, #1: I thought but there are some problems
a. battery location (or longer wiring is needed)
b. I saw some bad comments about the winch wire fly off to the people when winch is in high tension and suddenly loosed... very scared..
However, I want to try it, and feeling much easier bike handling I might get when loading...
solution of wire fly off was cover the wire with some heavy clothing??? something like that???

Thanks always, Mr. WW
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Busy it is highly unlikely you will ever have the cable break or come loose. The warning originates from folks winching heavier vehicles out of mud holes and up much steeper grades. They are working with much greater forces than you are. The cable will not break. The amount of weight you are pulling with the winch is really not all that much. As long as everything is attached securely I would say "Just Go For It."
Longer ramps might be more trouble than they are worth. What you need is practice, practice and more practice to get comfy with the set-up and develope confidence in new skills and methods. Proper timing with the winch is paramount to avoid an oops of course. What is the load rating for the winch ? I'll bet it would lift your street bike straight up in the air with little effort.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
dannylightning

Quote:
Busy it is highly unlikely you will ever have the cable break or come loose. The warning originates from folks winching heavier vehicles out of mud holes and up much steeper grades. They are working with much greater forces than you are. The cable will not break. The amount of weight you are pulling with the winch is really not all that much. As long as everything is attached securely I would say "Just Go For It."
Longer ramps might be more trouble than they are worth. What you need is practice, practice and more practice to get comfy with the set-up and develope confidence in new skills and methods. Proper timing with the winch is paramount to avoid an oops of course. What is the load rating for the winch ? I'll bet it would lift your street bike straight up in the air with little effort.
+1 dont worry about the cable busting. a motor cycle is like a feather to a good wench...