Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
More forum updates

I have changed the rank images as well as changed the rank names.

Post counts still are the same to change your rank. I only changed the names of each rank.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: More forum updates

Couple of random but total unnecessary ideas if you want to continue to eff around with the forum:

1) For Sponsors, maybe include the life to date donated. You might spark a competition.
2) Use different images for the posting frequency. For example, the lowest level could be a Big Wheel (or maybe a harley), Level II could be a tricycle, Level three a bicycle, level IV a vespa, all the way up to a mighty GZ (or a honda shadow!)
3) Not sure that the labels fit the frequency of postings. (For example, I generally have more respect for the less frequent posters opinions.) Perhaps, for the more verbose (like me) the label should be WINDBAG, BLOWHARD or LONELY. I'm thinking NEWB, REGULAR, stuff like that. Not sure how this is done on other forums.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Dupo

For sponsors, i have no way of telling what the 'life to date' would be. I don't keep records of that unfortuanetly.

Not a bad idea for the images. I'll poke around and see what i can come up with.

The labels can be changed ... give me a list of suggestions to swap them out to? They can only match the current rank (number of posts till they hit next rank).

Currently there is noob, squid, rider, respected in that order matching the current ranking system. I can add more ranks ... which would give more flexibility. 'Course i'd have to match each rank with an image mind you. Ranks right now are 1 post for noob, 25 for squid, 150 for rider and 500 for respected. More levels could give a better sense of posting frequency if we can come up with a more comprehensive list.

So, for each level there would be:

(minimum post count to obtain the rank) - (rank image) - (rank name ; what shows up under the image)

All current themes show the rank name, except the default theme. Default theme shows the name if you hover over the image.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Actually I like the noob squid rider. I guess it's the respected that falls flat. Also, perhaps you could make the (sponsor) tag a special color and still give them a rank name based on frequency. As I indicated, none of this is really all that necessary, but I noticed you had returned to tinkering and I know how you guys like to tweak stuff.

I gotta tell you, a few months back this thing was a ghost town, down to one thread (probably about ATTGATT or some other tired subject) and now it's going like gangbusters. I suppose most of it is due to the weather, but I must congratulate you on the increase in membership and activity.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I think anybody over 1500 posts qualifies as one of the below (somebody else may have a better [perhaps bike-related] nickname):

WINDY
WINDBAG
BLOWHARD
CHATTY
CHATTY CATHY
LONELY
ATTENTION STARVED
LASTWORD
THREADHOG
ORATOR
MASTER DEBATER

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

One last thing. If I recall correctly, once you have picked a moniker, you are stuck with that one forever right? Had I to do it all over again, I would have gone with my alter ego, Dr. Obvious. (He's a bit of a windbag. Lonely, too.)
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Dupo

Alright, i will see what i can do with the 'special' rank for sponsor, if i can put a post count to special ranks or not, i forget honestly.

I will do something about the 'respected' AND add a higher rank for 1000 and 1500 post counts.

As for your Dr. Obvious ... you are correct, once you sign up, theres no changing it.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 03-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
Maggie

YUK! I don't wanna be a "squid"! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

<Ahem> Okay, now that I've gotten over my little tantrum...I like the new tags, I just don't like "squid" 'cause to me that means someone who rides around in shorts and not ATGATT. Although I used to ride in just a bathing suit top with overalls and espadrilles (back when I was 16) and no helmet (before my accident), I'm a big GEEK now, wearing a hi viz vest, full face helmet and leather, etc. Also, I'm too old and "large-boned" now :whistle: to get away with such costuming!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Dupo

Post more, you get to be a 'rider'. That simple.

Its only forum status, not what we think of you

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook