Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 10-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

"I know you are but what am I?"

Patrick,

Is there any generally accepted method of either locking a thread, or locking out a user from posting to a thread once it has descended into a pissing contest? I'm not sure exactly how it would be done, but perhaps after the second or third, "It's not me, it's you, asshole" post, just shut the thing down. It's annoying to see new posts, ostensibly about someone's ride or mod only to discover that it's a never-ending pile of off-topic "'you're, a poopy head', 'no, you're a poopy head' 'Oh yeah, well everyone thinks you're the BIGGER poopy head'" crap that no one involved seems to be capable of stepping away from.

I'm not talking about the threads that drift off topic (especially if they drift into zombies), just the ones that descend into kindergarten poo-throwing.

The preponderance of these tantrums doesn't really serve anyone. I think it drives a lot of people away and results in just a handful of "regulars."

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
bonehead

Re: "I know you are but what am I?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Patrick,

Is there any generally accepted method of either locking a thread, or locking out a user from posting to a thread once it has descended into a pissing contest? I'm not sure exactly how it would be done, but perhaps after the second or third, "It's not me, it's you, asshole" post, just shut the thing down. It's annoying to see new posts, ostensibly about someone's ride or mod only to discover that it's a never-ending pile of off-topic "'you're, a poopy head', 'no, you're a poopy head' 'Oh yeah, well everyone thinks you're the BIGGER poopy head'" crap that no one involved seems to be capable of stepping away from.

I'm not talking about the threads that drift off topic (especially if they drift into zombies), just the ones that descend into kindergarten poo-throwing.

The preponderance of these tantrums doesn't really serve anyone. I think it drives a lot of people away and results in just a handful of "regulars."
:plus1:
Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I usually get around to time-warping them if I know about them, but with work and everything else that's a little more relevant to actual living right now is taking precedence, I'm relying on people to let me know when it starts, then I can jump in and do something.

This is all very cyclical, and will continue to be that way.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Yup we do tend to go in cycles and on cycles. History will always repeat itself.

Alan, if you want to, just ignore certain posts or posters, that will work. Read what is said but don't reply with any comment no matter how it may bite your a$$. I do this with a member on the Vstrom forum after getting into a pissin* match a couple times in the past. I will read what he posts but then just carry on with the next post and never respond to his words. There can and will be valuable insight and info but sometimes certain comments just are not necessary so I avoid any comment.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Alan, if you want to, just ignore certain posts or posters, that will work. Read what is said but don't reply with any comment no matter how it may bite your a$$. I do this with a member on the Vstrom forum after getting into a pissin* match a couple times in the past. I will read what he posts but then just carry on with the next post and never respond to his words. There can and will be valuable insight and info but sometimes certain comments just are not necessary so I avoid any comment.
I think you'll notice with few exceptions that has been my approach too of late. I do occassionally succumb to the bait, but i try to limit myself to one swipe and move on.

Wanting to add to the flame is not my issue. I monitor/check-in to the site by checking "View Unread posts". If there are any topics listed (like the now infamous "iratic") you can't tell if the new post is material or another verbal thrust in a (pointless and never-ending) flame jousting match. You gotta click on it and look. When these things get going, I spend a lot of time looking at "you're a big poopy head" posts that I'm not real interested in.

Maybe if we all adopted the "just move on" philosophy we'd have fewer trashed threads.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
dannylightning

some people are jerks and theres not much you can do about that. it is hard to ignore it some times tho..