Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #111
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Where are you from?
From The Kingdom of The Netherlands. Where many roads have a separate bike path, indicated by your avatar. You would like it there.
Highways and city streets usually don't have a bike path. Highways are no-no for bicycles. And in the city, the cagers know to keep a space for bikes. I failed my first car driving exam for passing a bike too close.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #112
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Wow. That's nice. I didn't realize we got so much international attention. Are you living in the States now?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #113
5th_bike

Yes, actually my location "Maryland" is in the States.
I've been here long enough to get used to those roman empire era units "miles", "feet", "pounds" etc. that they still use here.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #114
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

hahahaha
Yeah. I haven't quite figured out why we do that. Maybe because we are the new Rome? There is really no other reason for it.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #115
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Installed mine today. I haven't had a chance to take it more than around the neighborhood, but a few days without rain this week will give me time to ride and test it out.

Total install took about 45 minutes, give or take.

Like someone before, after I installed it, I had a little bit of chain noise from the sprocket, so I dabbed some chain lube between the teeth before I set the bike back down and it cleared it right up.

Also, after a thorough chain and sprocket inspection, I definitely need to clean and lube. That rear sprocket is nasty.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #116
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It'll stay that way too. Chain goo gets dirty really quickly.

I have a hell of a time trying to keep the rear wheel clean. There is just no room to manuver(sp?).

For refence, would you mind sharing where you got the sprocket?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #117
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A5270576
The specs appear to be wrong on that product page, and the picture is of a 14T sprocket, but that part number is the 16T. I counted them.

Shipping was fast. Ordered it on the 28th of May and received it on the 2nd of June.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #118
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Well that's good. They must not be discontinued afterall. That, or they bought the last ones they could find.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #119
patrick_777

I just rode down to work and back (about 9 miles each way) to try out the new sprocket. Everything mentioned in this thread is just about right. This is a great mod if you don't plan on going over 60, but really want to work in the 40-50 range comfortably.

The bike accelerated through first quickly, but I could make it scream to 25 until I shifted to 2nd, but it wanted a change in gear around the 18-20 mark.

Second and Third were perfect gears for city roads and gave more play in the throttle than I ever thought possible.

The sprocket has virtually eliminated the fifth gear. Fourth would take me to 60 easily and 65 was near the top end. If I upshifted to fifth, the bike would rev down, and eventually the speed would drop to 60 and fall slowly. (Note: I was facing a 5-7mph headwind tho.)

The most comfortable gear I stayed in was third. I held with traffic at 40-45 in third and it had plenty of throttle left for more power if I needed it. The trick that this mod did for me was narrow down the throttle play I had. The bike wanted to bite every time I changed gears, or from a stop. It was almost like the friction zone was thinned out dramatically. It made me focus more on shifting smoothly though, since I didn't have to up and down shift as often on the streets.

To summarize: The sprocket really kills the top end on the bike. My suggestion, like others is, stick with the 15T if you do a whole lot of highway or higher-speed back roads. If you're commuting to work through city streets where the bike seldom needs 50+ mph, then the 16T sprocket will give you the gearing and throttle play you need to handle the traffic more comfortably and safely.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #120
patrick_777

For those that care, I replaced the 16T sprocket with the old 15T and I have to say, I like it better. The responsiveness isn't as twitchy, and it gives me the high-end speed I want. Since it's not a big deal to swap them around, I figure I'll try the 16 again in the future, but for now -- I think the 15 suits my needs better.