Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-06-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
Lost_Ronin

2001 GZ250 Bobber

So a few years ago I picked up a 2001 GZ for 200 bucks. It was not running, no key, needed lots of maintenence after sitting for a decade. Some of the plastic was cracked and decided to keep the build dirt cheap. Instead of replacing pieces I just cut and modified the bike and did maintenence, tires, brakes etc. I am currently into the bike $400 and it is running driving and registered. I can't find before pics but you all know what a GZ looks like stock lol. pics are how it sits today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1CF75A3-3078-45A2-8223-2734397BA573.jpg (20.1 KB, 48 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Not my style but very creative. Did you go with an oversized tire up front or does it just look that way due to the fender being off it?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
Lost_Ronin

yeah it is bigger and the rear is bigger as well.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

Nice. By the way, you need to tighten that chain LOL.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Lost_Ronin

It is adjusted correctly now. I had just finished installing the rear tire and hadn't quit buttoned everything up.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:38 AM   #6
Ryparms

Looks great! I just bought a GZ250 about 6 hours ago and a bobber style setup is exactly what I’m thinking about doing. Do you have any video of your build? Like specifically rerouting all the electric that mounts to the rear fender? If you’ve got any additional info about your build I am stoked to hear more since this is again exactly the style I’m going for. Oh, and I’ve never modified a motorcycle myself before!

And apologies if I’m doing something incorrectly, I’ve never posted to a forum before and I don’t know proper etiquette.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
Lost_Ronin

I don't have any video on my build. Really a motorcycle is a motorcycle so if you get on youtube there are a tone of guys chopping and showing how to wire these up. It really just depends on what you want and how far you are willing to go. I still haven't cleaned up my wiring as much as I want. My last step if to build a battery box to mount on the swing arm in front of the rear tire. I will mount the fuses, switches there. As for now they are just bolted right under the front of my seat. A great channel on youtube is LNSPLTBLVD. These guys go hardtail, springer front ends, and suicide shifters but they show alot of the basic ideas with stripping them down and cleaning everything up.

A few things to keep in mind. I have a sportster tank installed and I had to weld tabs to get it to mount. Need to be extremely careful welding around fuel. If you get rid of the airbox you will need to rejet the carbs. I made a short velocity stack inbetween the carb and pod filter to get the air to feed properly.

I would recommend taking small steps and progressively take it farther and closer to what you want. It is easy to get in over your head.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Lost_Ronin

The great thing about these little GZ's is they are air cooled, single cylinder, single carb machines, so super easy to work on.