Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If you're getting valve clatter then go back and do it again. They may have altered their positioning when you were locking them down or you could have done intake and exhaust in reverse like so many people before you

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
bwader

Took a little spin in the back yard and it seems to have more power to it.

Yeah at first I had the intake and exhaust valves backwards then changed it right.

Just got done push mowing for 1.5 hours did front and back yard. My "old lady" is bitching about I don't pull weeds around the house and keep the yard kept up and she went on about it for an hour. Then on about her sister's husband keeps up their yard beautifully and she was going to pay him to do our yard since I haven't been doing that on my own.
Shit, I work at least 40 hours a week and 15 hours is commuting. I get 4 days off once a month and I donate plasma too, to make extra money. Then I don't keep the house looking nice.

Anyway this is my last day off and I'm told I wasted all day yesterday working on my motorcycle when I could have gotten so much more done. She even said she would been fine with me just relaxing all day. What? I got to take care of my bike I don't have money to pay a mechanic to do things I can do and willing to spend some time doing it right.

I'll check the adjustment again when I can get some more chores done. Women
Old 08-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Irate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwader View Post
She even said she would been fine with me just relaxing all day.
No insult intended to any gals on the forum but that is a crock of s**t. An idle man will drive a woman nuts. 2 ex-wives and their mothers proved that to me.
Take one of your days off each month as a "Me Day" and do what you want. Go for a ride and regain all the lost sanity. My 1st wife didn't understand when I said my bike saved her from sure death.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

HAHAHAHa...

This is so fu(#!&*! true.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
bwader

The sound is good enough you can hear it.

My voice isn't that high at the beginning. Just did it quick off my tablet.

When I say "rear one" I meant the exhaust one in the front. I think of the exhaust being in the rear when really its in the front of the engine and goes to the muffler in the rear.

Last edited by bwader; 08-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #16
bwader

Finally got my valves adjusted yesterday. It was tedious for me, I ended up getting it at the lower end for exhaust and intake settings.

Frustrating to get it adjusted and rotate the engine a few times and back to TDC and check it again and its the same but when I would let the starter rotate it.

It would be off too loose so once I got it to .004 mm or .008 I'd just starter bump it and just adjust it slightly tighter until it would be the right adjustment.

Now when I get another day off I can take my turn signals and get it inspected like I did the previous year.

Haven't yet had time to take for a good test ride but I know the engine sounds good now starts up easy. For my case three tappets' threads were messed up and needed replaced. At least its all good now with new stuff
Old 08-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #17
Vegas Street Rider

After 12,500 miles, I finally adjusted my valves on the GZ. I got the general impression that over time the valves tightened up. My intake valves were at .003 and my exhaust valves were at .005. What gives? I adjusted them to .002 and .004 respectively. I can tell the difference for sure. I also tinkered with the carb as it was running a little lean. I had noticed the coloration on the exhaust tubes and now it is running much better. The plug also looked a little grey in color and I think it might have been loose. What is the torque required to install the plug? Someone suggested 15lbs. Anyone have any advice or input
Old 08-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #18
wacio

Manual says 13 lbft.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
spldart

I've adjusted mine once since I picked my bike up used 1.5 years ago. Valve lash to loose. I really need to adjust again. Will update when I do.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #20
Vegas Street Rider

Thanks. I thought I used about 15lbs torque and the plug still came loose after about 4000 miles (daily rider). I guess I should reread the manual.