Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
sabo99

Little Help Please :)

Good morning,

I was on here previously but was unable to remember my username. So i created a new one. I have a 2007 GZ250 with 2300 miles on it. It has been in for the services needed to this point, and i change the oil myself. Using 10W40 Valvoline motorcycle oil. The problem i am having is that when i go on extended rides, after about 20-30 miles, i start to just lose all power all of a sudden, and the throttle does nothing. Will be cruising along at 55 mph, and then i just lose all power, bike wont rev up by giving it throttle. Engine stays running. I downshift, and it will take off again once i get back down to lower gears. It is fine until the bike gets warm after riding a while. Air filter is good, oil is fresh, gas is fresh, and i have ran seafoam through it already this year. This also happened last year. I am fine as long as i stay off the highway and dont cruise at 55 for a while. Any help, or ideas would be great. I am thinking about checking the spark plug. Replacing it. Thought maybe a carb issue, but it should be clean. I always store with Stabil, and run some seafoam through it beginning of summer each year. Thanks

Paul

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
geezer

Re: Little Help Please :)

yes check your plug for color, and i bet youll find it white. i think your running lean due to the increase in speeds being a problem. at higher speed the bike will intake more air and give you a leaner mixture. you might have an intake leak. check out the plug and get back to us
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Good call with that last idea.

Have you made any changes to the air box/air intake system ?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
sabo99

I havent made any changes to the bike at all. Still stock... I went out to ride it to work this morning. It starts, runs for a few seconds, then dies. So it is looking to me to be a fuel delivery issue. Which backs up the lean statement. It must be struggling for fuel. Since i let it sit this week, now it is worse. I had used seafoam in the tank. So that musta broke up stuff. I will have to drain the tank and clean the petcock. Question before i do this. Anything bad by me removing the screen in the Petcock assembly to keep it from plugging up, and then running a inline fuel filter to catch anything. Would be a lot easier to just replace the cheap filter now and then rather than pulling the tank. Thanks again for any help. Glad its a 3 day weekend. Wanted to ride to work tomorrow though.. Oh well
Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
blaine

I would take your fuel hose off at the carb and check for fuel flow.I'm guessing that it's your carb that needs cleaning,not your petcock.I would NOT remove the screens in the petcock.They are there to keep dirt & rust out of the petcock,also if you remove them you will have no reserve,as the screen is part of the pickup tubes.Lots of members have been stranded by the pickup tube falling off the petcock,and leaving them with no reserve.If you want to clean the tank,you should only need to do it once,for peace of mind.I would add a inline filter,as it traps finer particles than the screens in the petcock.Good luck.
:cool:

Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
sabo99

Cool... Thanks. I would have thought the Seafoam would have cleaned up the carb. Think i can just spray some carb cleaner in where the fuel line goes in and let it sit for a while? Or do i have to remove the carb and clean it out? I only have 2000 miles on it. Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo99
Cool... Thanks. I would have thought the Seafoam would have cleaned up the carb. Think i can just spray some carb cleaner in where the fuel line goes in and let it sit for a while? Or do i have to remove the carb and clean it out? I only have 2000 miles on it. Thanks
You can try that first,once you determine that you have good fuel from the tank.It takes very little dirt or sediment to play havoc with these carbs.
:2tup:

Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
mrlmd1

Check to see if there's free flow of fuel out the petcock - put it on PRIME, remove the hose from either end and see how fast fuel flows, and no dirt.
Also put it on RUN, apply some sort of vacuum and see if it flows. You could be clogged up some inside those screens on the intake tubes to the petcock limiting high flow when needed.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
sabo99

Thats what i am wondering. Will try to work on it this weekend and post what i find out. Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
geezer

from personal experience, tank strainer. hopeuflly you fnd low fuel flow there cause its much faster and easier to clean the tank than it is to do the carb. but personally id do the whole fuel system in one shot, it only takes a few hours for most people and then you will have a trouble free fuel system